Grain screenings?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I'm looking for a place to get the best buy on grain, I will be graining a couple of steers and figure I need to get a couple of tons to finish them out. I see "grain or wheat screenings" advertised a the mills for basically 10 cents a pound ($8 for 80lbs). What is screenings? is it made up of a lot of dust, hulls and stems?

Any suggestions on where to buy and get the best price for a ton or 2?

Thanks,
Alan

Grain Screenings are everything but the grain, like you said dust, hulls and stems. Also thins and broken grain. Anything not the right size. Depending on what they are cleaning for it can be good feed. I have bought screenings from when they clean wheat seed. It has a lot of grain in it, and the cattle did well with it. That was the only grain my cows have ever seen.

Watch the grass seed cleaning. I've heard some of it can have nasty's in it as some of it is turf type grass.

http://oregonfeed.org/mehren_art_1006.htm

There is an article that has some good information in it. As a matter of fact you can go to the homepage and read all of them by that guy-good stuff.

Alan":b6x5ujfr said:
I'm looking for a place to get the best buy on grain, I will be graining a couple of steers and figure I need to get a couple of tons to finish them out. I see "grain or wheat screenings" advertised a the mills for basically 10 cents a pound ($8 for 80lbs). What is screenings? is it made up of a lot of dust, hulls and stems?

Thanks,
Alan
Just wondering why would you buy screenings for $.10 a pound when NO. 2 yellow corn sells for $.055 per pound.

somn":2k29l46r said:
Alan":2k29l46r said:

Thanks,
Alan
Just wondering why would you buy screenings for $.10 a pound when NO. 2 yellow corn sells for $.055 per pound.

Where does it sell for that? I'll buy it!

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":mm9w61j0 said:
somn":mm9w61j0 said:
Alan":mm9w61j0 said:

Thanks,
Alan

Thanks,
Alan
The Midwest.

somn":2lbyoehz said:
Alan":2lbyoehz said:
somn":2lbyoehz said:
Alan":2lbyoehz said:

Thanks,
Alan

Thanks,
Alan
The Midwest.

Long drive :D

Alan":yshrzdhd said:
somn":yshrzdhd said:
somn":yshrzdhd said:

Thanks,
Alan

Thanks,
Alan
The Midwest.

Long drive :D
You people in the NW have it rough. The more I read about the way things are there it makes me really think about putting a grain kit in the wilson and crossing the divide to bring you folks some feed and buying some of those dirt cheap calves Dave was telling me about.

That's part of the post is hoping to get a tip on where to buy good, cheap grain.

Thanks,
Alan

The grain screenings come from the big grain terminals at Portland and Kalama. Some of it can be pretty good feed at a cheap price. Some of it not so good. I don't know where you got the 10 cent a pound price. I see that Lackamas Valley in Vancouver selling screening pellets for $70 a ton bulk. In bags it is about twice that.
The problem I have had with screening pellets is that they can be pretty low on energy. By the time a person goes to the time and effort to buy grain and feed it you might as well get the good stuff unless you are buying in real volume where you get the price break.
Dave

I spoke with a guy that feeds a lot of corn screenings. He buys by the semi load, and will pay up to 80% of the price of corn grain.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach for a pasture energy supplement, or is there still a reason to buy corn grain?

I know a big dairy farmer who feeds a lot of corn dust. I don't know what he is paying now but a few years ago it was around $40 a ton. He said it had a lot of energy and sure cheapened the ration. But I need to add, he was buying it by the rail car load.

Corn screenings are the best, almost all is corn like 99%. Lots of small kernels and cracked. Almost no weeds and rocks. Still worth only about 75% of #2 corn.

Small grain ranges for good to real bad. Dust, rocks, weeds, dirt, bugs. spoiled grain :shock:

Makes things a lot better if you don't have to pay a lot for trucking.

mnmtranching":olisetlk said:
Corn screenings are the best, almost all is corn like 99%. Lots of small kernels and cracked. Almost no weeds and rocks. Still worth only about 75% of #2 corn. Makes things a lot better if you don't have to pay a lot for trucking.

Any tips on feeding alot of corn screenings at a low cost? I assume you would want to buy in the fall, that corn screenings will store well in a metal bin, and that you could feed it without cracking? :lol:

Stocker Steve

Most if not all of the corn screening sold in this area during the fall harvest are screened before the drier and thus they are wet and will not keep long in a feed bin.

well during the winter we ran out of corn in all of the grower yards bins so we went to the Co-op andwent bought that instead of corn and we replaces the corn with the screenings. you could load a feed truck faster because you didnt have to send through the cracker. i like the screensing mine are always clean and almost no dust

Alan":caxr0x85 said:
That's part of the post is hoping to get a tip on where to buy good, cheap grain.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan

If you do not mind me poking in here, I would advise against grain screenings from a mill - you never truly know what you are getting - sometimes it is excellent and sometimes it is crap.

If you have anyone nearby who does grains, you might simply ask them what they would charge you for some. Remember, there is no trucking and no cleaning and so on - so the price can be - and likely is reduced.

I use corn screenings from the neighbours plant. When he dries, there are always undersized or broken kernels that are sorted out. I get that stuff for free, but that is another story.

He sometimes sells excess to others for about 55 bucks a ton. It is clean, dry and ready to use. They have to come and get it - and cash is king. After all, this stuff is not for sale to companies for human consumption - it does not meet grade.

So if it does not go for feed, it ends up in the dump.

I guess what I am saying is check out all your pricing options - especially the local big grain and oil seed guys - there is a good chance thay have their own plants and you might just strike gold.

Good luck,

Bez>

Bez>

There isn't hardly any grain raise in Alan and my part of the world. No corn, a little barley and oats but not much. What there is though is some huge grain terminals that serve the Pacific Rim. That is where the screenings come from.