grain price

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
OK I always here about the price of grain. What do most of y'all pay for the grain you feed your cattle and how do you buy it, in bulk etc? Also, if a growing heifer or steer has good grass how much grain do you give it daily?
Also, I assume there are different types, what is the most common grain fed?

I buy a special ration of corn (almost 50%), oats , soybean meal, vits, probios, cotton seed hulls. I buy usually 6 tons in bulk - delivered. Last month it was $344/ton which was 15% above the month before and that month was 7% the before that.

You figure.

Billy

If you have growing heifers or steers on good grass how much feed do y'all give them daily if any?

tncattle":1doj39xr said:
If you have growing heifers or steers on good grass how much feed do y'all give them daily if any?

All of that good grass they will eat, minerals and water.

if they on good grass i feed 5lbs of grain a day.an do that because i want to push them to gain weight.

grannysoo":39bufrl6 said:
Todays price is 7.45 for 50 lb bag.

So that is about $300 a ton. Example: if I had 10 steers on grass for 120 days and also fed 5 lbs. grain a day I would need 3 tons. So my feed would cost me about $900.

I'm not supplementing any grain now and won't til winter. Cattle are grazing on good fertilized grass and putting on weight. Only thing I keep out now is a good IGR mineral. Did look at bag prices at the feed store the other day and their 20% cubes were $8.00.....clean shelled corn was $7.60 a bag. A typical high fiber 14% creep pellet was $7.15. What caught my attention was chicken feed. Their laying crumbles were almost $12 for a 50 lb. bag.

We grow our own corn, but the last time I heard the feed mill was charging $10/100#s of corn.

FarmGirl10":3llearqq said:
We grow our own corn, but the last time I heard the feed mill was charging $10/100#s of corn.

Heck Farmgirl. The farmer is contracting new crop corn for more than that now. Gonna be some high priced corn and finished feeds this year.

TexasBred":257mu2oi said:
FarmGirl10":257mu2oi said:

Heck Farmgirl. The farmer is contracting new crop corn for more than that now. Gonna be some high priced corn and finished feeds this year.

Bunge in Atchison, KS is paying $6.00/bushel for 2008 crop corn. That equates to $10.70/100#.

Feed bills for finishing cattle are going to be astronimical.

Dusty-Trails":2orqwvjy said:
Anyone ever feed tenderlean and corn?
It works as advertised. I haven't priced any lately but Kent feeds makes a product that works just a well and always was cheaper than tenderlean. You need to understand however this product allows for a roughage free diet but it will not stop most colored cattle from becoming over fat. It works best for those black and white spotted animals.

Latest posts