Grain drill feedback?

Help Support CattleToday:

aaroninga

Reaction score
Any chance I can get feedback on this drill? I've never used one and don't know much about them.
I'll go see it this Saturday.
Owner said:
Don't need rear remotes, good. I don't have them.
Fertilizer and seed hopper.
Single disk.
10' wide, 7" disk spacing.
Needs moisture in the ground to use it.
Working fine.
He bought it 10 years ago for 45 acres because he couldn't get anyone to drill his either.

http://athensga.craigslist.org/grd/5651153511.html

I'm wanting to overseed fescue and clover late September or early October for winter grazing.
I've got 10 acres, 31hp kubota 4x4 and having trouble finding someone to drill it for me.

Thanks in advance!

I have pretty much the exact same drill. Along with a couple other jds. One double disc.
I prefer the double disc for well prepared soil.
But the single is almost as good and can be used to no till shallow seed with good soil moisture. I use the fertilizer box for a trash can. I would value it at about 800.00 if in good shape. But if it looks very well kept and all the feed hoses and disc are in good shape it may well be worth close to that for you.
As far as old drills go, and I've used a ton of em. It's a very good one

The main problem with those old VanBrundt/JD Modle B drills is they don;t have a closer behind the opening colter. If the grass you are seeding into is real short, you can get by with bragging a bunch of heavy tires behind the drill. Around here, in really good shape they sell for about 500 bucks.

Thanks guys
I really appreciate the feedback!

I'm figuring it's better than spending 3-4K or pulling an 8 disk harrow, straight discs, broadcasting and dragging chainlink over it.
Guess I'll see what's his best price.
Thanks again

That grain drill looks pretty rusty. Check the grain drills on Atlanta Craigslist. I like the great plains at $3400.

Check with your local soil conservation office. They may have a loaner grain drill. Or your county agent may know a farmer that will rent a really good drill cheap. I rent a 10' Great Plains no till drill for $250 and drill in 20 acres on my pastures in the fall. I let the cows graze it down tight. I realize your tractor wont pull a 10' no till but I know there are a bunch of 6' drills out there.

I paid $700 for mine that is in better shape. I drag a heavy bar behind mine on prepared soil and it works well. Doesn't work very well overseeding where I tried it.

bird dog":32ggsjc7 said:
I paid $700 for mine that is in better shape. I drag a heavy bar behind mine on prepared soil and it works well. Doesn't work very well overseeding where I tried it.
I only used it to reseed cheap seed in existing fields. The best results I had was when we got a real gully washer the next morning after the seeding.

I would expect spotty results if you buy and use it on pastures even with a heavy homemade drag mechanism behind it. If you buy a drill, the best return on your money will be one with a small seed box that can plant legumes. Price seems high.