grading

Help Support CattleToday:

tgpacker":zysaaghm said:
.60-.80 over current prices on chucks and rounds.

Just curious, If you had a buyer that much over current grid price, local or otherwise, why didnt you sell them to the processor.

Or did I misunderstand something?

Frankie":by9rmevq said:
tgpacker":by9rmevq said:
I am not a farmer or rancher, but I recently bought 4 Wagyu Hereford cross and the farmer that is taking care of them tells me they are the best looking cows he has. I also bought a purebred Wagyu bull and a different farmer raising him tells me he hardly eats anything. If you feed them more days but less feed per day isn't your cost per day going to be about the same as commodity beef? I contacted a processer yesterday and when he heard my breed of cattle and where I got them he told me he had a market right now that was .60-.80 over current prices on chucks and rounds.

I'm not trying to be rude, but every animal has to eat to grow. That's probably why they don't do well in the feedlot, they don't eat well. A good appetite is a plus for a beef animal. I don't doubt there's a good market for the meat, but you should pay close attention to your cost for getting them to the meat stage. Good luck....

Growth, carcass and meat quality characteristics of beef cattle with 0, 50 and 75 percent wagyu genetic influence

P. S. Mir1, D. R. C. Bailey2, Z. Mir1, T. Entz1, S. D. M. Jones1, W. M. Robertson2, R. J. Weselake3 , F. J. Lozeman,4

1Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, P.O. Box 3000, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada T1J 4B1; 2Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, 6000 C&E Trail, Lacombe, Alberta, Canada T4L 1W1; 3University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge Alberta, Canada T1K 3M4; and 4Lozeman Family Farms, Claresholm, Alberta, Canada

Feeding trials were conducted in two years to compare growth performance, carcass characteristics and quality of meat from beef cattle with 0, 50 or 75% Wagyu genetic influence. The cattle types used in the two years of the study were Continental crossbred steers (0% Wagyu), cattle with 50% Wagyu influence (Wagyu/Angus crossbreds) and 75% Wagyu influence (containing 25% from other European breeds). Cattle were housed in individual pens in the first year and in group pens in the second year. Cattle were fed a backgrounding diet containing 35% barley grain and 65% barley silage with protein, mineral and vitamin supplements until they weighed more than 380 kg, after which they were adapted to a finishing diet consisting of 80% barley and 20% barley silage with mineral and vitamin supplements. Cattle were weighed every 4 wk and at the end of the finishing period they were processed and carcass information was obtained. A three-rib section (10–12) was removed from 41 (year 1) and 44 (year 2) carcasses selected randomly from each group, and Warner–Bratzler shear force was determined. The year-by-cattle type interaction was significant for most parameters; thus all the data were also analysed by year using weight of cattle at initiation of the feeding trial as a covariate for the backgrounding and finishing phases of growth and using carcass weight and back fat depth as covariates for carcass and meat-quality parameters. Weight at the start of the trial influenced most growth parameters and age at slaughter. Continental crossbred steers had higher (P < 0.05) ADG than Wagyu crossbred cattle during the finishing phase (1.47 vs. 0.82 kg d–1) in year 1, but not in year 2. Carcass weights of 75% Wagyu crossbred cattle were lower (P < 0.05) than those of Continental crossbred steers in both years. Warner–Bratzler shear force values were less than 5.3 kg to shear cores of 19 mm diameter. However, 92% in year 1 and 71% in year 2 of the carcasses from Wagyu crossbred cattle graded Canada AAA, and contained more than a "small" amount of intramuscular fat. Thirty percent of the carcasses from Wagyu crossbred cattle in year 1 graded Canada Prime. Only 30% of Continental crossbred steers in year 1 and 10% in year 2 graded Canada AAA. Wagyu genetic influence enhanced marbling in beef cattle without loss in carcass size for the 50% Wagyu steers .

now if that report just had some information i could decipher and use.

3MR":13cdgr2o said:
tgpacker":13cdgr2o said:
.60-.80 over current prices on chucks and rounds.

Just curious, If you had a buyer that much over current grid price, local or otherwise, why didnt you sell them to the processor.

Or did I misunderstand something?

I bought them for my local farmers, I'm a county supervisor, the semen we are selling to our counties farmers for $3 a straw and I have a local vet who has volunteered to AI our counties cows free on the first visit. I didn't sell them because they are for our future breeding stock. I did contact WSU and actually bought some semen from them that came from the son of the top marbling Wagyu bull they have ever had. I bought a few 3/4 bloods from a rancher in Tx who has sold purebred heifers for $12,000, a person that bought some of those heifers actually hauled my cattle halfway home for me and he didn't bat an eye on the price. While everyone is focusing on raising grassfed ultra lean beef we are going the other way. From everything I have read the Wagyu is the healthiest beef and I think people are going to get tired of eating chicken. Anyone who takes Lipitor is a potential customer for Wagyu beef. I have also eaten purebred Wagyu and there is nothing like it.

tgpacker":12z1vuay said:
I bought them for my local farmers, I'm a county supervisor, the semen we are selling to our counties farmers for $3 a straw and I have a local vet who has volunteered to AI our counties cows free on the first visit.
What kind of freakin' welfare deal is that? You mean to tell me that counties are getting in on that crap now, too?

Texan":3tm11429 said:
tgpacker":3tm11429 said:
I bought them for my local farmers, I'm a county supervisor, the semen we are selling to our counties farmers for $3 a straw and I have a local vet who has volunteered to AI our counties cows free on the first visit.
What kind of freakin' welfare deal is that? You mean to tell me that counties are getting in on that crap now, too?

It isn't welfare, I live here and it is my money, the vet also lives here and we want to make our county better.

teletigger":3neg40ct said:
tgpacker":3neg40ct said:
Texan":3neg40ct said:
tgpacker":3neg40ct said:

It isn't welfare, I live here and it is my money, the vet also lives here and we want to make our county better.
You've got to be applauded for that.
regards

Amen

tgpacker":1xy6bzr3 said:
I agree with the others that you sure have a commendable attitude---and backing it up with your own money makes it even more commendable.

Latest posts