Got to be a mentor for the afternoon

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
I got a phone call from a complete stranger that lives down from my bull pasture and he was in need of a bull because his and his father-in-laws bull had went on to see the good lord. He wanted to know if I would meet them over there and let them look at some of my bulls. Well it was sunday which after church is my only half a day off work each, if you could even call it that due to owning cattle, but I went ahead and agreed to meet them over there anyway. They got there and we met each other and cruised amongst the bulls and they were like two kids in a candy store. They wanted to know about every bull in pasture, what kind this one was, what color of calves would this one throw, how much do they weigh and so on and on and on. After a while I asked them what their business plan is and what their goals and what kind of cattle do they like. Come to find out the father-in-law had about 40 acres and they owned 2 moma cows and 3 first calf heifers and two of which had calves that had died, one born dead and the other got sick. They wanted another bull that calved easy and wanted to have black calves so I suggested some lbw angus I had and after and eternity they picked one out. Next they wanted to see some of my cow calf operation so we went over to another farm. The whole way over there they asked about every question you can think of or have even seen on this board. I showed them my replacement herd, the commercial herd, a herd of brangus heifers I'm in the process of breeding and then selling and on to the feeder calves. They absorbed everything I showed and explaned to them. On the way back to their truck they asked even more questions, what if's, how do you? and so on. I let them out and they said "we want more cattle" and asked if they could come over when I was around and help out sometimes or just watch and I said that would be fine. On my way home I got to thinking about how glad I was to have the opportunity to pay back to someone else all the knowledge, stratgies, paitence, and time that so many others had given me. The whole point of my rambling on is not once did I ever consider them dumb wannabe's, and let me tell you some of their questions were out there in left field, but they had the passion for and the desire to learn about cattle and I don't know of a better way of going about it than by "ASKING QUESTIONS" from someone who might know a thing or two about it. Granted they could of picked a better mentor, like dun for say, but I'll always be happy to help when I can!

Rod":1yivzp9z said:
I got a phone call from a complete stranger that lives down from my bull pasture and he was in need of a bull because his and his father-in-laws bull had went on to see the good lord. He wanted to know if I would meet them over there and let them look at some of my bulls. Well it was sunday which after church is my only half a day off work each, if you could even call it that due to owning cattle, but I went ahead and agreed to meet them over there anyway. They got there and we met each other and cruised amongst the bulls and they were like two kids in a candy store. They wanted to know about every bull in pasture, what kind this one was, what color of calves would this one throw, how much do they weigh and so on and on and on. After a while I asked them what their business plan is and what their goals and what kind of cattle do they like. Come to find out the father-in-law had about 40 acres and they owned 2 moma cows and 3 first calf heifers and two of which had calves that had died, one born dead and the other got sick. They wanted another bull that calved easy and wanted to have black calves so I suggested some lbw angus I had and after and eternity they picked one out. Next they wanted to see some of my cow calf operation so we went over to another farm. The whole way over there they asked about every question you can think of or have even seen on this board. I showed them my replacement herd, the commercial herd, a herd of brangus heifers I'm in the process of breeding and then selling and on to the feeder calves. They absorbed everything I showed and explaned to them. On the way back to their truck they asked even more questions, what if's, how do you? and so on. I let them out and they said "we want more cattle" and asked if they could come over when I was around and help out sometimes or just watch and I said that would be fine. On my way home I got to thinking about how glad I was to have the opportunity to pay back to someone else all the knowledge, stratgies, paitence, and time that so many others had given me. The whole point of my rambling on is not once did I ever consider them dumb wannabe's, and let me tell you some of their questions were out there in left field, but they had the passion for and the desire to learn about cattle and I don't know of a better way of going about it than by "ASKING QUESTIONS" from someone who might know a thing or two about it. Granted they could of picked a better mentor, like dun for say, but I'll always be happy to help when I can!

Nice story! Everyone can use a Mentor, and sometimes they are hard to find. I am sure you made a good impression on them.

It's a circle. Someday maybe these folks, maybe some others that you work with will have the opportunity to help someone else. Somehwere down the road, you or your family may recieve help from soneone that you don;t even know that was a direct result of this sunday afternoon. It's not always returned in kind, but it will be returned.
End of my philosphy lesson

dun

It was good for you to take the time to help out. Like Dun said it will come back to you. Way to go.

Rod,

Thank You for taking time out of your schedule to help them. They probably have a re-newed spirit and will be better for your help.

I have a mentor who is now up in his mid-seventies but has been a great source of knowledge of the years.

That was a great story.What this world needs is for all of us to take a lesson from you on being a Mentor, and taking the time out to help someone.There's very few things more important, than helping someone in need.I believe, you do good, you get good.At least it seems to work for me that way, sooner or later. I wont Preach anymore. ;-)

I need a mentor for a couple of weeks if you have time. :lol: :lol:

Place to stay, free meals and fresh air, and plenty of exercise. ;-)

Great post. A person can read all the books and join all the discussions groups but nothing substitutes for a mentor willing to share his experience. You are a good man!

Thanks for sharing.

Rod thats so cool. i bet you took as much as you gave. i hope one day i have that chance, it does'nt have to be about cattle it can be anything. i mean you only chance to be "still" and your riding thru the fields. brother to me thats gold. you could have made an appointment on a day you would be doing it anyway but to get out of your chair.........

I meet a lot of "newbies" in my day job, and I'm happy to answer any questions I can.. if I can. They are all willing to learn, and want to do a good job at whatever they do, so it's great to be able to give them the encouragement they need. Not enough youngin's coming along that were born on the farm that want to continue it.. so we'd better help out the ones that have a passion to learn.

Every once in awhile they'll come up with an idea or an outlook on something that I hadn't even considered. So even being rookies, they still can come up with some good ideas.

Always good to pass along...balances out what we have received.
I find myself talking to friends about subjects that I have shared advise to others...sort of a check and balance system to make sure that I still knew what I think I do even if I don't use it everyday. DMc

Latest posts