Got my cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Zelda

Reaction score
Well, I aquired a herd of 12 murray grey cows. They all have calved already, I bought their calves too. Someone had to get rid of the herd in a hurry, so I got'em for a good price. I wanted to buy ones that had just calved, because I wanted to avoid dealing with calving while I'm a beginner. They're pretty animals, that's for sure. My dog, Bandit, has never seen cattle before and kept barking at them. After he learned what they were, he decided to "mark" one of the calves...Momma cow didn't like that at all..don't think he'll bother any of those calves again. The animals are all sleeping in the barn now. I laid out fresh hay for them.

Any advice with my cows? I don't want to do anything wrong.

congrats on your new cows.hope you have them in a pen till they get used to you an their new home.can they get to water in the barn.

Congratulations, I think you'll like the MGs, I do, although I don't own any of them. Did you get a good deal on them? Post us some pictures of them if you can.

Leave Bandit at home.

Trey

Wish I could post pics, digital camera's broke and not worth fixing. I don't use it all that much anyhow. Yes the cows can get to water in the barn. Bandit is a terrier, I like to keep him around because he keeps the wild rats and mice away. It's one thing to breed rodents for snake food, it's another to have wild rats carrying who-knows-what-diseases around my animals. I'm allergic to cats...so don't even suggest cats.

That said, there isn't a big rodent problem around here. Bandit's marking (yeah, he's neutered and he still likes to mark buildings) keeps them away I guess. But I'll keep him away from the cattle.

Congratulations on your herd, Zelda!

A few things to consider:

* keep them penned up in a small yard for a little while, so that they get used to you. Walk around them and talk to them, they will slowly get used to you. Putting out some feed helps too - they like people who bring food. When they are comfortable with you and their surroundings, you can turn them out into the paddock. This is also a good quarrantine period, so keep an eye out for any possible health problems.

* watch out for those mums with calves - they can get very protective and you wont know what hit you if a cow feels threatened.

* you might want to think about vaccinating and deworming (except the baby calves) unless you know for sure that the previous owner did this. Perhaps talk to your vet about a health schedule.

* Have the calves been tagged and castrated? If not . . . if they are really young you might be able to do it in the barn with some helpers to hold them. If they are a bit bigger, you will need to rig up some working pens.

Have fun with them!

And do post some pictures - beg, borrow or steal someone's camera!

* keep them penned up in a small yard for a little while, so that they get used to you. Walk around them and talk to them, they will slowly get used to you. Putting out some feed helps too - they like people who bring food. When they are comfortable with you and their surroundings, you can turn them out into the paddock. This is also a good quarrantine period, so keep an eye out for any possible health problems.

Gotcha. I always have hay with me when I'm around them. They'll take it from me, but then they move away quick.

* watch out for those mums with calves - they can get very protective and you wont know what hit you if a cow feels threatened.

Yeah..learned that from poor bandit. I'll be careful.

* you might want to think about vaccinating and deworming (except the baby calves) unless you know for sure that the previous owner did this. Perhaps talk to your vet about a health schedule.

I know for sure the previous owner did this.

* Have the calves been tagged and castrated? If not . . . if they are really young you might be able to do it in the barn with some helpers to hold them. If they are a bit bigger, you will need to rig up some working pens.

There are 3 male calves, and all have been castrated. In fact, one of them is really sweet (his mother is one of the more trusting cows, she actually lets me near him. Won't let me pet him yet, but it's a good sign.)..he might be my ox...

Zelda":2pcvvbxy said:

Gotcha. I always have hay with me when I'm around them. They'll take it from me, but then they move away quick.

Yeah..learned that from poor bandit. I'll be careful.

I know for sure the previous owner did this.

There are 3 male calves, and all have been castrated. In fact, one of them is really sweet (his mother is one of the more trusting cows, she actually lets me near him. Won't let me pet him yet, but it's a good sign.)..he might be my ox...

Please don't take this the wrong way cause I'm basically still a beginner also. But those cows are not pets, they are food. If you pet them and get to trusting of them you'll get hurt. I've been volunteering for almost a yr. now helping a family friend that has around 200 Angus. The man has been raising cattle 40 years and he never pets them. But he always lets them know who is in charge and has an escape plan just in case. An example: We were deworming and giving some shots last summer. I was getting 3 big cows going toward the head shute and the one I was behind was 14 yrs. old and had been with this man her entire life. Never had a second of trouble out of her ever. I gave her a pat on the rear to get her going and she kicked straight back! It was so incredibly quick and powerful, it barely missed my thigh and would have most likely broke my leg easily. I know it's said cows don't kick back but out to the side but I'm here to tell you they can kick backwards if they want to and hard as crap!

Be careful!

But those cows are not pets, they are food. If you pet them and get to trusting of them you'll get hurt.

I'm aware of that. If you read some of my other posts, you'll see that I deal with animals that will never become tame on a daily basis already. And I've got no problem slaughtering them, I do it all the time with the feeder animals I raise for my reptiles. :)

Latest posts