Got good news, and bad news...

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
Just kidding, only bad news. I keep seeing reports that the beef industry will continue its decline into 2017 and 2018 (unless there's a natural disaster somewhere ie=drought)
And why is it everything is twice as much work when you're making little to nothing?

:bang:

I'm as sick about the prices as the rest of y'all. But I only know one way to do things. Keep on keeping on. Cut inputs. Work harder. And ride outt He storm. Until there's no other options.

mncowboy":18herpau said:
Just kidding, only bad news. I keep seeing reports that the beef industry will continue its decline into 2017 and 2018 (unless there's a natural disaster somewhere ie=drought)
And why is it everything is twice as much work when you're making little to nothing?

:bang:

Until herd expansion stops it's going to keep declining

Cattle feeders must stop feeding cattle so long and getting them too big as we don't need the meat and you know what happens when a bunch of 1,500 pound fat cattle are sitting in the yards prices go down. As cattle breeders we must stop getting cattle so big...at weaning, yearlings and as fats. Thousand pound cows capable of producing a 400 to 500 calf in 7 or 9 months going on to a forage program to finish weight of 1,000 pounds or maybe another 90 day of grain and finish at 1,200 pounds. Right now we are producing to produce at a loss...just like the corn guys when they had $6 per bushel corn for a year or so...look at it now...$6 corn is a short term deal just like $2.50 per cwt. calves are...let's get real and go low tech and low input then cattle may make a buck for a number of years vs. over producing with high tech and high inputs and loosing the ranch.

Rusty Faucet":34gpvg16 said:
Cattle feeders must stop feeding cattle so long and getting them too big as we don't need the meat and you know what happens when a bunch of 1,500 pound fat cattle are sitting in the yards prices go down. As cattle breeders we must stop getting cattle so big...at weaning, yearlings and as fats. Thousand pound cows capable of producing a 400 to 500 calf in 7 or 9 months going on to a forage program to finish weight of 1,000 pounds or maybe another 90 day of grain and finish at 1,200 pounds. Right now we are producing to produce at a loss...just like the corn guys when they had $6 per bushel corn for a year or so...look at it now...$6 corn is a short term deal just like $2.50 per cwt. calves are...let's get real and go low tech and low input then cattle may make a buck for a number of years vs. over producing with high tech and high inputs and loosing the ranch.
Doesn't matter as long as we have no representation and our markets are the dumping ground for foreign goods.

Rusty Faucet":3eorm9qu said:

I saw the same thing happen a few tines when cattle were being finished at 1,100-1,200 lbs. IMO the size of the end product has little impact. The size of the cowards and the amount of imported beef does.