Got a reminder yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
I was out feeding the cows and horses yesterday like I have been doing as of late due to drought conditions, when I got a quick reminder that we all need from time to time.

The horses, no problem they just have to get the pecking order and get to their assigned buckets.

I've been feeding the range cubes in the catch pen so as to get them used to it and make my job easier later on. While they eat I walk around quietly doing a once over. Well this one bred cow I bought back in September, that always seems to be pretty laid back and easy going, was just eating away when out of no where she came after me looking to stomp a mud hole in my butt, :mad: only I was ready and my reflexes were pretty good so I got away with no more of a story to tell.

Just a reminder to never let your guard down.

Ran into the same perdickment this morning J. One old cow is real protective when she has a calf. She is due anyday. I walked out to check on them. I'm usually horseback but today I walked. No dog or nothing with me. Not even a cell phone.
I spooked her, the wind was in my face and evedintally didn't make the proper amount of noise upon walking up to her. She saw me and went right for me. She is 12 and arthritic and I managed to side step her w/o incident. One spurt is all the old girl had.

But like you said J, we all need a reminder every once in a while.

It might sound strange but it was kinda fun once I knew all was fine. Took me back to my bullriding days.

J, good way to keep your reflexes sharp!

Nowadays, I try to remember to kennel my dogs when I feed cubes or hay. In the past they've got me into trouble more than once when a cow would charge toward one of them that I hadn't realized was standing behind me.

Like you said, a little adrenaline rush is always fun when the outcome is good!

A-6 gal hit it on the head. I've had charges at the dogs when they are being protective or just trying to move the cows. The rush really opens the eyes and regains respect for the animals.
DMc

Latest posts