Got a question.

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett

Reaction score
What do you do with your dog(s) when you go out of town for a few days? Do you have facilities for them to be on their own? Have someone take care of them? Or do you take them with you?

I have someone take care of them.
Only have one dog left and it's a lap dog, so if I drove I would probably take it. But don't feel like flying with a dog, so she stays with my mom when we go on vacation. When I had outside dogs, they had a full feeder and I had someone check the water occasionally.

I've done all three. Last year we boarded the two we had for 8 days and the tab was not far from $600. When we only had the bulldog she would travel with us.

Inside dogs stay with mother in law. Bulldog stays in kennel with free choice feed and automatic waterer (and fan this time of year bc its smokin hot here) and one of my employees washes out kennel and checks on everything.

When I was single I had 2, Sophie and Gretchen. Never really went anywhere but if I did I had a pen with shade, water and shelter. Had a small foot tall water trough for water and a large self feeder for food. The same pen they stayed in when I was working. Would have a friend check on them periodically if I was gone for several days. Never considered traveling with them even though they were with me almost every time I ran errands. Exception would be when it's hot like it is now even with the windows down, I'd leave the home.

Started dating my wife, she has the Pomeranian, Riley. Her eldest son was at college and has a chihuahua/poodle mix, Tucker, so that was 4 dogs when everyone was home. Sophie, Gretchen, and Riley learn to tolerate each other but Sophie would rather Riley go away but she was ok with Tucker who loves to torment Riley to the point you can't even say Tucker without him growling (as best a Pomeranian can) and defending his territory. Gretchen was the only dog he really liked. Youngest sons wife (girlfriend at the time) brings a Golden Retriever, Duke, to the mix. Gretchen is not impressed and Duke isn't going to put up with Tucker so it becomes a challenge to keep everyone happy and safe. When I lost Sophie it lessened that tension but shortly after that a friend had a CockerPoo show up and of course the eldest son just had to take it in...most ill mannered dog I've seen in a long time. Energetic, runs, jumps on everyone, hikes it's leg on ev-ver-ry-thing everywhere, curly shaggy hair....just an all around mess. I finally put my foot down, spend $1200 to convert my dogs run into 3 separate kennels complete with a heated and cooled area for the city dogs. ALL dogs were to be kenneled. Kids didn't like it, Duke didn't like it, but amazingly it stuck. Except for Tucker, the 7 pounder that would be the end of mankind if something happened to him.

Rolling on along, youngest gets married, buys a house, fixes it up, moves his bride and Duke in. Bride gets a job and Dukes separation anxiety kicks in. He starts eating the house.....some how the answer to that was get him a companion.....a German Sheppard. Kid you not. So it was 6 dogs and 5 people when the kids came home.

Wife and I have had the discussion of why people think they have to take their dogs along when they go somewhere. Kids tell us it's implied you will be bringing you dogs if your invited somewhere. Course neither have made accommodations for their dogs to be gone longer than just going to work. Only once did we take the dogs with us, the pen I kept mine in was the back yard of the house we had just torn down to build a new one and couldn't trust the yard fence where we were living to hold them. Was an overnight trip to the sister-in-law's for a birthday party. She encouraged us to bring them so we did.

Gretchen was bad about separation anxeity until she became accustom to a situation. She chewed out of a chain link pen, dug out when she couldn't chew out. I Built the kennel pens out of 4x4 goat panels. Put old cattle panels in the ground to stop the digging. It didn't take all to long for her to adjust. She may have rather been with me, but she would readily kennel and wait for me to return.

Question I have is how do you deal with visitors/family bring their dogs/pets?

1982vett":1ymr1mv8 said:

Visitors welcome. Family welcome. Their dogs are not. Causes problems with my dogs. Plus I have about 50 that I raise puppies with and I don't allow any outside dogs on the premises. But I would feel the same even if I didn't have the kennels. But that's just my :2cents:

We either have someone house-sit, which includes taking care of the dogs/cattle/cats or kennel the dogs (barn cats can deal for a few days). Which is precisely why we rarely go anywhere. Absolutely agree w/JMJ: visitors, yes (over a week is pushing it); their pets NO. Partly because our Lab/Greyhound mix would eat any other dog on the premises - or at least put up a bloody fight. Plus, I have zero tolerance for someone else's animals behaving badly in my house.

When we lived in Scottsdale, AZ (definitely waaaay before cattle), we used to board the dogs at Camp PooCheeGowWa. I think they looked forward to our travels.

TCRanch":1mmfxlqf said:
We either have someone house-sit, which includes taking care of the dogs/cattle/cats or kennel the dogs (barn cats can deal for a few days). Which is precisely why we rarely go anywhere. Absolutely agree w/JMJ: visitors, yes (over a week is pushing it); their pets NO. Partly because our Lab/Greyhound mix would eat any other dog on the premises - or at least put up a bloody fight. Plus, I have zero tolerance for someone else's animals behaving badly in my house.

When we lived in Scottsdale, AZ (definitely waaaay before cattle), we used to board the dogs at Camp PooCheeGowWa. I think they looked forward to our travels.
Then theirs always the difference in the definition of behaving badly.....

If we're only going to be gone overnight we just put out one dog in the shop with plenty of food and water and her bed. If longer than that we take her to the "Doggie Drop Inn".

1982vett":1e1ujx8o said:
Wondering what it generally cost to board a dog? Guessing that might vary quite a bit.
Generally isn't cheap & it's way less expensive here in KS than when we lived in AZ or TX. I'd definitely visit the facility prior to make sure it's clean, up to code, staff is friendly/knowledgeable, animals look happy, etc. One alternative is your vet; either they may board or have recommendations. If you're going to be gone quite a while I'd suggest getting someone to house sit.

some problems might arise is not tagged and liscenced by the cty..here nobody will take a dog without it and shot records....I do all my own and so I cant board mine anywhere. they run loose inside my wireless fence and I have yet to ever have one not be here when I get home. water is avail and usually 23 days of food is no big deal. iegbors will stop by to check cows torughs and see if the dogs are here but they always are.

petsafe wireless fence is the greatest thing ever next to a 22 to keep yer dog home

1982vett":yb3xc1ji said:

I have an Airedale/Heeler and an English Shepard, they own the place and take no prisoners.

1982vett":1cxroila said:
When I was single I had 2, Sophie and Gretchen. Never really went anywhere but if I did I had a pen with shade, water and shelter. Had a small foot tall water trough for water and a large self feeder for food. The same pen they stayed in when I was working. Would have a friend check on them periodically if I was gone for several days. Never considered traveling with them even though they were with me almost every time I ran errands. Exception would be when it's hot like it is now even with the windows down, I'd leave the home.

Started dating my wife, she has the Pomeranian, Riley. Her eldest son was at college and has a chihuahua/poodle mix, Tucker, so that was 4 dogs when everyone was home. Sophie, Gretchen, and Riley learn to tolerate each other but Sophie would rather Riley go away but she was ok with Tucker who loves to torment Riley to the point you can't even say Tucker without him growling (as best a Pomeranian can) and defending his territory. Gretchen was the only dog he really liked. Youngest sons wife (girlfriend at the time) brings a Golden Retriever, Duke, to the mix. Gretchen is not impressed and Duke isn't going to put up with Tucker so it becomes a challenge to keep everyone happy and safe. When I lost Sophie it lessened that tension but shortly after that a friend had a CockerPoo show up and of course the eldest son just had to take it in...most ill mannered dog I've seen in a long time. Energetic, runs, jumps on everyone, hikes it's leg on ev-ver-ry-thing everywhere, curly shaggy hair....just an all around mess. I finally put my foot down, spend $1200 to convert my dogs run into 3 separate kennels complete with a heated and cooled area for the city dogs. ALL dogs were to be kenneled. Kids didn't like it, Duke didn't like it, but amazingly it stuck. Except for Tucker, the 7 pounder that would be the end of mankind if something happened to him.

Rolling on along, youngest gets married, buys a house, fixes it up, moves his bride and Duke in. Bride gets a job and Dukes separation anxiety kicks in. He starts eating the house.....some how the answer to that was get him a companion.....a German Sheppard. Kid you not. So it was 6 dogs and 5 people when the kids came home.

Wife and I have had the discussion of why people think they have to take their dogs along when they go somewhere. Kids tell us it's implied you will be bringing you dogs if your invited somewhere. Course neither have made accommodations for their dogs to be gone longer than just going to work. Only once did we take the dogs with us, the pen I kept mine in was the back yard of the house we had just torn down to build a new one and couldn't trust the yard fence where we were living to hold them. Was an overnight trip to the sister-in-law's for a birthday party. She encouraged us to bring them so we did.

Gretchen was bad about separation anxeity until she became accustom to a situation. She chewed out of a chain link pen, dug out when she couldn't chew out. I Built the kennel pens out of 4x4 goat panels. Put old cattle panels in the ground to stop the digging. It didn't take all to long for her to adjust. She may have rather been with me, but she would readily kennel and wait for me to return.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... gIGygRQRyI

1:20 Keep your dogs in the truck till ya leave.

1982vett":35sb4p84 said:
What do you do with your dog(s) when you go out of town for a few days? Do you have facilities for them to be on their own? Have someone take care of them? Or do you take them with you?
I don't leave often anymore or for long, but if I do, someone looks after them, and they come here to do it.

TCRanch":yqedihp8 said:
1982vett":yqedihp8 said:
Wondering what it generally cost to board a dog? Guessing that might vary quite a bit.
Generally isn't cheap & it's way less expensive here in KS than when we lived in AZ or TX. I'd definitely visit the facility prior to make sure it's clean, up to code, staff is friendly/knowledgeable, animals look happy, etc. One alternative is your vet; either they may board or have recommendations. If you're going to be gone quite a while I'd suggest getting someone to house sit.

Back in 2010, wife insisted I go with her to visit her parents in north Texas since her other 3 sisters were going to be there too. We arranged for one of her friends to house and critter sit (someone else looked after the cows) but the house sitter called the day after we left and said she left in the middle of the night and wouldn't be going back. "Too dark, too far out and too many strange noises"....IOW, she got scared of the boogie man and ran. That was the last time I tried to find a house sitter.

greybeard":3la43672 said:
1982vett":3la43672 said:
I don't leave often anymore or for long, but if I do, someone looks after them, and they come here to do it.
My preference would be to stay home however I do enjoy myself when I do go somewhere. Guess I have a touch of separation anxeity also. :lol: Stems mostly from the two years I spent on the road working (before I had dogs to care for). After I quit that I never had much desire to go anywhere. When I got the dogs i didn't like leavin* them behind just to go somewhere either.

Been 10 days now that Gretchen is gone. Riley doesn't really show signs of missing her, but he did have to think (guess that does make it plausible that he actually has a brain) about where to go last night when I told him to go to his bed. :dunce: Having to learn find his own place to pee rather than just peeing where Gretchen did. I'm telling you, that dog is "special". :roll:

greybeard":3n8muhcd said:
TCRanch":3n8muhcd said:
1982vett":3n8muhcd said:

Back in 2010, wife insisted I go with her to visit her parents in north Texas since her other 3 sisters were going to be there too. We arranged for one of her friends to house and critter sit (someone else looked after the cows) but the house sitter called the day after we left and said she left in the middle of the night and wouldn't be going back. "Too dark, too far out and too many strange noises"....IOW, she got scared of the boogie man and ran. That was the last time I tried to find a house sitter.
I would have been pizzed!!! What did she expect in the country?

Visitors welcome. Family welcome. Their dogs are not. Causes problems with my dogs.

Same here. I don't take mine to other folks' houses and I expect other folks (including relatives) to extend the same courtesy.

Latest posts