got a meeting

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just heard back from the school board on haying their fields around the schools and bus depots. They want to move forward and meet with us to determine how to proceed since this has never been done before here. Looks like I may be in the hay business by next spring if this continues

The haying will be done on the fields that srround the schools. Not the ball fields or student areas. The buffer areas if you will. Also, were going to stipulate that they send someone around to double check there isn't trash. I've looked at a lot of the fields already and haven't seen anything to worry about.

I'm pretty excited. We're talking hundreds of acres total. The logistics may get interesting. I've already got a few companies interested in moving the hay for us so we don't have to store it.

Just heard back with an answer from the school district. They aren't going to do it. Reasons: liability, concern about fire(?????) And concern about varmits (???). They are so broke they are shutting sown schools, but they want to pay to have the fields bush hogged instead of letting us do it for free in exchange for the hay.. Bureaucrats at their best. Oh well, I still have 35 acres of fields that I can hay for free.

Yep. It doesn't have any bearing on their answer tho.2 whole different departments and one doesn't know about the other.

Just amazing, and 25-30 years ago it would have been a no-brainer. I thought it was a great idea that would have been a win-win.

Hook it may be too late but had an idea that may help you. Call your insurance man and see if you would or could get coverage to protect against their concerns. Talk one on one with your District School Board member and provide them the coverage and then revisit this issue with them. I am sure that you have shown them the savings in black and white. Never knew a "crat" that didn't want to have "Saving $$'s" as an election triumph and stumping point when it comes time for re-election.

In Texas a Gov. agency has to put the project out for public bids and a contract signed before the work can be done. Check this out and if so put in a bid to mow it.

Even if we mow it, we can't let it get high enuf to bale it. It would have to go out on bid, but they aren't even entertaining that idea.
I showed them the potential savings, and have all the insurance I would need because I already do work for them. The savings would pay the salaries of 10 teachers a year.

hooknline":4lkos227 said:
Even if we mow it, we can't let it get high enuf to bale it. It would have to go out on bid, but they aren't even entertaining that idea.
I showed them the potential savings, and have all the insurance I would need because I already do work for them. The savings would pay the salaries of 10 teachers a year.

Attend the board meetings for a year. Betcha someone has a sweet deal with the mowing. And "grounds maintenance" and "teachers" come from separate budgets, so they really don't care. My guess.

More than likely. I'm biding my time til my contact becomes superintendent. In the mean time I'm going to slowly fill him on the reality of the situation. Don't want to come off too heavy and jeopardize the contract I have already