got a dog problem

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
help please
we have two dogs. both are healthy dispite war wounds from working.
dog 1
Gentle, good cattle dog, good tempermant. Austrailian shepard and German sheperd. fixed male. going on 6 atleast
dog 2
younger may be 4 or five. female, austrailian sheperd and border colie may be more dunno. High strung cattle dog. Agressive usually comes back when called...but has be known not to.

dog 2 has taken to get real pushy with dog 1.
if we are not around keeps her food buried in straw from her house and eats his or buries his in the straw and keeps him from it.
She will keep him out of the dog house (insulated duplex). And if dog 1 gets attention and she does not a dog fight ensues, one where you have to yell that they break it up. Don't want to get in the middle for fear of great pain.
Dog 2 has taked to "plucking a chicken" caught her with one pinned not long ago. Had to destroy the chicken...not before she got a good... :shock:
She likes to herd the chickens and though nothing of it untill that point she started plucking one.
dog 2 has always been independant, made her own path in life, and is smart. And dumb. When she gets into trouble you get a butt in the air.
dog 2 she is my pet but the thinking is a peice of lead if we can not get her under control. Ideas?

Is she spayed? How much daily exercise does she get? These dogs can RUN for MILES twice per day - talk about energizer bunnies. They need jobs and they need to do them vigorously and daily.

I hate to say it but the only way I have broken a dog of killing chickens is SEVERE and repeated beatings (using the carcass if possible). And that doesn't work very often.

Need discipline...

Some dogs will be harder to train than others. Dog 2 needs some good *** woopins and when that dog messes up she needs to be isolated from every one. Maybe in a kennel. No working, no human or other dog contact, little or no feed. Time needs to vary on how bad it was and if it was the 1st, 2nd, 3rd offence. Its like putting a kid in time out.

If the dog is truely a good working dog, being pinned up when every one else is going off to work after acting up will effect her in a positive way.

Don't get dead set that one way of training will work for all dogs. That is not the case. It takes different things for different dogs. Some need lovin to be productive and some need *** woopins to be productive. Find what dog #2 needs.

Hope this helps in some way.

Electric collier set on high.. Don't yell-don't let her see you

Shock collars are quick fixes and in alot of cases do more harm than good... discipline is better in the long run.

Take the dog to a controlled enviroment and work on the basic when you are in control and if the dog doesn't listen you can discipline immediatley. Then there is no need for shock collars.

Thanks for the replies. dog two is fixed...female.
She does not respond well to "no" "bad dog" whopping. She gets that butt in the air hides and wages her tail and tries to do somersaults. no sense of contrition or sense of submission. My way or hahah.

She gets lots of exercise, runs with the bike and the tractor all the time. comes to do chores always. Chases cyotes, skunks and any invader.

She did get a serious butt whopping with the chicken. And the chickens are no longer free range.

The isolation just might work. Will give that a try.

She can be a real good working dog. And does a good job...when she does not take it to far...like chasing an escaped calf through the fence full boar...can;t seem to break that one and when she comes back, won't let you near her. Thank fully this does not happen often.
but sometimes...straight strung out...

brought dog 1 home from a day at the vets for a dislocated toe, 30 seconds after check each other out, she attacked him. Nuts
thanks

i have a similiar dog. border collie. great herding but questionable else where with discipline. not dog aggressive but just does not listen all the time. she is new so i am working with her. i understand border collies are sensitive, whatever that means, and once they get it they are great. work in process for me. good luck.

We too have a partial border collie and discipline is an ongoing thing. He is making progress but has a bark that will peel paint off the walls and cannot be caught if he doesn't want to be. Tests the patience I am here to tell you.

They will go through stages where they will test you. You will think you have them perfect then they turn a year old and you feel like you have to start over.

Just stick to it... never let down. Most of the good, damn near perfect dogs are 4+ years old. Any thing younger than that is still in training and a pup, in my opinion.

As for not loading up and wanting to be caught, go to the furthest point on you place.

Do not feed the dog before you go.

Drop the dog off. Work, play, what ever.

Then tell the dog to come and load up. IF no go.... then you start to leave. Hopefully the dog follows.

Then stop and again see if the dog will come to you to load up.

It may take 3 or 4 times of stopping and trying. Each time go further and further.

When the dog does come and load up praise them like they are the best in the world and then take them home and feed them. Works every time for me. :D

IF the dog never loads up then run the @$$ all the way home. you have to commit to it because some will test you to see if they are bluffing.

Sounds to me like Dog 2 thinks she's in charge. You need to assert yourself as the Alpha Dog in their pack. Give her food, when she starts to eat, take it from her, but be careful, she might get pissed. Play with her and get her on the ground. Roll her over on her back and pin her down. In a pack an animal that does this is showing submission by revealing their soft belly to a dominant animal. Be firm, be careful, and be disciplined enough to follow through.

Couple of random suggestions:
a) Separate them while eating if possible.
b) With some dogs, tying the dead chicken to their neck will fix it...Doesn't always work unfortunately.

rockridgecattle said:
Thanks for the replies. dog two is fixed...female.
She does not respond well to "no" "bad dog" whopping. She gets that butt in the air hides and wages her tail and tries to do somersaults. no sense of contrition or sense of submission. My way or hahah.

She gets lots of exercise, runs with the bike and the tractor all the time. comes to do chores always. Chases cyotes, skunks and any invader.

She did get a serious butt whopping with the chicken. And the chickens are no longer free range.

The isolation just might work. Will give that a try.

ive got 2 females that could be the 2 you talk about. im in the same boat as to what to do. just about time i sight her in she'll run a cow offa tha back of the qaud sneakin up on me or bark at someone i never seen comin. shes managin to keep ME at bay for now but the runnin cow thing really burns me.
im just givin her a chance to come around as i can. she wont load either. she will run 2 miles back home but wont get in the truck..and jumps right out if ya lift(throw) her in. she will ride the stock trailer though

Its a relationship that you have to build if you want your dogs to work for you. Take those dogs and put them iin a kennel. Feed them for a week or so. Every time you feed whistle and then feed. Make sure to pet them also.

Then turn them out to get some exercise,,, make sure it is late in the day and you have not fed yet. Then when you are ready for them to come back whistle and get the feed bucket. When they come, praise them, pet them, and feed them.

Animals learn quick to trust the hand that feeds them. You have to be in confined spaces though where they have no other choice.

Latest posts