Gooseneck adjustment???

Help Support CattleToday:

EIEIO

Reaction score
I put new tires on the truck a couple of months ago and they are about an inch or so taller than my previous tires. All my trailers have pulled fine except for my 20 foot flat bed with a 5 foot dove tail an flip up ramps.

I remember when I bought the thing watching the guy make a couple of adjustments on it there where the neck goes down over the ball. Looks like there are 2 bolts going into the neck.

The trailer brand is an Elite if that helps. Guess I'm wanting the neck portion shortened so it is not so low in the rear. It does fine on the road but making it off the dirt road to pavement I scraped ground a couple of times last time I used it.

I'll call the dealer for advise unless somone here can tell me what I should do.

Thanks in advance,

J

How many axle's? Yes can adjust to bring your dove tail up but you also can screw your weight to axle distubution up as well. I have trouble believing an inch is causing you a problem. Dove tails ride low to start with and typically drag in certain situations. You lower the hitch enough to kick that tail up up are going to be putting a lot of weight and wear on that front axle. I adjust mine like in a parking lot that is level. Placing a level over the axles I want the bubble to be slightly off plum to the tail. Now when I load that 30' dove tail and the truck squats I have a level load and equal weight distrubition on the axle.

I thought the same thing CB about just being an inch higher up as my other 3 trailers don't have any problems however when I took this one out last month I scraped bottom in a couple places it had never hit before.

I'm only having problems during the 1.5 miles to the pavement and it's only a couple of spots that it hit at the rear so I may just leave it alone cause I don't want to screw up the weight distribution.

It's a tandem axle. I may pull it to town tomorrow and put the level to it. Do you know what I need to do regarding how to adjust it? I assume you just loosen the two bolts and adjust from there??

Thanks,

J

EIEIO":da37583b said:
I thought the same thing CB about just being an inch higher up as my other 3 trailers don't have any problems however when I took this one out last month I scraped bottom in a couple places it had never hit before.

I'm only having problems during the 1.5 miles to the pavement and it's only a couple of spots that it hit at the rear so I may just leave it alone cause I don't want to screw up the weight distribution.

It's a tandem axle. I may pull it to town tomorrow and put the level to it. Do you know what I need to do regarding how to adjust it? I assume you just loosen the two bolts and adjust from there??

Thanks,

J

First open that bull dog hicth put your trailer jack down and raise the trailer as I said above. Loosen the two bolt and the sleeve will slide down on top of the ball retighten and your in business. Do not forget to close the latch on that bull dog and pick up your jack so you don't look like a dummy in town.

Be dam sure the trailer jack is down before you loosen the two bolts I do not want you to get hurt as I have seen the things try to set in the bed of the truck.
And have your tailgate down makes a nasty horseshoe if it comes down.

Caustic Burno":1t9heslk said:

Sounds like experience speaking there Caustic?? I also learned the hard way that not lowering the tailgate before driving out from under that gooseneck will cause a heck of a racket!! Now I've got a case of OCD when it comes to double checking that tailgate.

bullred":hilk4guv said:
Caustic Burno":hilk4guv said:

Sounds like experience speaking there Caustic?? I also learned the hard way that not lowering the tailgate before driving out from under that gooseneck will cause a heck of a racket!! Now I've got a case of OCD when it comes to double checking that tailgate.

I seen that done once.

Latest posts