Goose Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
MN has a early goose season. To try to control the local population. We have LOTS of geese.

I wonder how much grass 200 giant Canada Geese eat. :shock: :roll: That's about the # that are raised on my land. :help:

P1010133.jpg

Our early season goes from Sept 1 through Sept 15.

I had just as soon eat shoe leather, but they are fun to shoot.

I've tried smoking, frying, baking, and broiling. Any tips?

Geese are excellent cooked in a pressure cooker. I didn't like them at all until I had it that way. If you put cranberry sauce on them when done its even better.

Brute 23":1b5fgc08 said:
Have you tried dep frying like a turkey? :)

Yep. Fried it and the dogs wouldn't eat it. :x

Thanks for the pressure cooker tip. Didn't think of that. ;-)

MikeC":1qbybf8g said:
I've tried smoking, frying, baking, and broiling. Any tips?

Mike, I like to smoke them or use an oven bag for baking. Before I bake them though I soak them in buttermilk for 24 hours. We have a friend who hunts snow geese and he has them made into sausage. Good Luck!

MikeC":2qayslqd said:
Brute 23":2qayslqd said:
Have you tried dep frying like a turkey? :)

Yep. Fried it and the dogs wouldn't eat it. :x

Thanks for the pressure cooker tip. Didn't think of that. ;-)

Man,, I thought everything was good deep fried. :shock:

We are talking about the same deep frying right? Not the frying like chicken with crust. Where you inject the cajun seasoning, throw some Tony's on the outside, and dip it? :)

OK, Some Tips on eating wild geese, :p

First off don't shoot the big ones :oops:

Old geese can NOT be made edible. :help:

You harvest the young of the year or. :stop:

Your old hunting dog will have a hard chew, :(

But when you get the young ones, roast up the whole bird with some good home made dressing. Roast for 3-3 1/2 hours at 325.
Really GOOD.

Remember :roll: :roll: The OLD ones are not fit for human consumption :cry: OR dogs either. :(

Young ones huh?

Just how do we go about picking out the young ones?

They all look alike to me. ;-)

ive heard you are supposed to shoot the ones in the back of the V b/c the ones in the front are old and tough as nails.

Tells ya something when the possession limit is 24 here.

Best bird of any bird I ever ate was some goose that a farm woman injected maple syrup into while roasting.

Guy brought it to camp and we reach in and grab a chunk cold out of the fridge - gone day one. :lol:

Right Now :D We're eating roast wild goose. We roasted 2 with a wild rice home made stuffing. Yummmm. TENDER AND TASTY.

Excuse me for a bit 8)
About a hour and a half later.

Not bad :D With a lot of leftovers to work away at during the Vikings game tomorrow 8) :help:

Latest posts