good steer gone bad

Help Support CattleToday:

Mom32

Reaction score
Got two beautiful angus steers in October for 4-H. #1 was always gentle, we led him, groomed him, started squaring him up from the start. The daughter who will show him is 11 and little. The first week of January, he became Mean Joe Green. Not just a little head butt. I mean, like shooting dad & me through the air like rodeo clowns. We tried the soft approach until several ribs had been bruised, then drug him with a utility truck, which worked for a while.

Now he leads slowwwwly and squares nicely. We can put him in a head squeeze or groom without tying, mess with his feet, everything. but when we try to turn to the right he goes balistic. We never know what will set himoff. Just a few days ago I took a ride about 6 feet up in the air.

There has been no lack of time spent-- we practically live at the barn. Sale is in 6 weeks and I'm scared my kid (or someone else's) is gonna get hurt. Will probably let her show the other steer in showmanship, but she'd still like to get him in the confirmation pen- he's pretty fancy. We're beginners here-- what are we doing wrong?

Mom32,

This should probably be best on the show thread. I have no experience showing cattle, but I would not let my kid near this animal again. If you've already taken a 6 foot leap, you should probably get rid of him quick before you wind up 6 feet under.

Him being fancy will not help you when people are hurt.

Is any show or steer worth risking your 11 year old daughter's life? :shock:

Any animal put me in the air it wouldn't last long enough to do it again. I think the only thing you are doing wrong is keeping the steer alive long enough to give him a chance to really do some damage. Sorry, I don't want to sound rude or harsh but I don't want to see any of you get hurt.

IMO,he would get a little attitude ajustment, then I would still not let him get anywhere near your 11 year old.Seems like to much of a risk not worth taking.

Not only is the well being of your daughter at stake here, but her future showing is also at stake. If the animal, hurts her or scares her she will loose interest in showing in the future.

This last year at our county fair I saw an 19 year old college girl that had showed her whole life, get attacked by her show heifer in the show ring. It looked exactly like a bull on TV attacking a Bull rider. He pinned her against a wall and was ramming and stomping her. It was not a pretty sight with an older girl and I would hate to see this with your young girl. Just pass on this steer, she is young and has many years more to show.

Haul that hatchet ass Angus to the salebarn or hang him from a tree. He won't do anything but get worse.
Like if a bull or cow fight's you once watch out for the second one when you are loading the worthless cull.

Latest posts