good hay

Help Support CattleToday:

"Good" hay might be defined as 12-14% protein, weed & trash free, irrigated & fertilized & cut and baled at the proper time.

Round bales have been done as 4 x 5, 5 x 5, 5 x 6 and range anywhere between about 750# and 1500# on the average depending on size. Some "feed store" bales of bermuda (directed at the novice weekend rancher?) are in the 4 x 5 size and 750-850# and have been selling up to $125 a round bale at feed stores.

"Rancher bales" (about 1000-1500#) of bermuda (5 x 5 and 5 x 6) have been selling anywhere between about $75 and $100 a bale. Some mixed grass hay (8 to 12% protein) can occasionally be found in the $50 to $75. range.

Alfalfa round bales (1500 - 2000#) anywhere between $100 and $150 a bale.

LOT depends on one's location! If hay is local, it is usually cheaper; if it has been trucked in (or has to be hauled a distance to you), then expect to pay the premium prices. Again, it's all about supply & demand and what the local market will bear.

Also, in terms of "small square bales", bermuda grass hay should average between about 60-70# per bale. Some producers are putting up "hobby farmer" bales for feed store sales that are in the 40 - 50# range (easy to load into a SUV...lol). As such a 40# bale for $6.00 is no bargain since that would translate to $9.00 for a "regular sized" 60# bale. It's all relative... The "lighter bales" may "look" like regular sized ones...however, they are not packed very tight.

I just bought some 1000# square alfalfa bales from out of state for $80. However, because they tested out at 18% I may be able to get away with not feeding cubes which I normally do with coastal bermuda...

G&L Cattle":2yqkkhzb said:
Ive considered alfalfa, but I really dont know how to feed it. Ration it? My cows would probably figure it out though. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal!

G&L

Feeding alfalfa does get a little tricky if your cows are not used to it because of the high protein content - it can cause bloat in cattle that are not used to it. One way of doing it is to start out small and mix it with grass (maybe 1/4 alfalfa to 3/4's grass), then gradually increase the amount of alfalfa over the space of a few weeks depending on how well your cows tolerate it. Another way is to simply limit the amount you feed (depending on how severe your winters are and how much pasture is available), and then gradually increase it.

G&L Cattle":12gui668 said:
Ive considered alfalfa, but I really dont know how to feed it. Ration it? My cows would probably figure it out though. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal!

G&L

I started out with mixed bales of coastal and alfalfa until the coastal ran out. Now they eat straight alfalfa. Two things: I have longhorn cattle which don't ever seem to get bloated, and second, the alfalfa is not dairy quality stuff...first cut with lots of stems.

I've got close to 150 round bales of good mixed grass hay that are 41/2x5's and 5x5's that I'm trying to sell for $15 a roll. 6x6's around here go for $25 and up.

jgn":380j7j6d said:
I've got close to 150 round bales of good mixed grass hay that are 41/2x5's and 5x5's that I'm trying to sell for $15 a roll. 6x6's around here go for $25 and up.

Can you bring me all of it? Please give me a price delivered to middle Alabama. I want it.
I mean it. PM me with a price please.

alabama":236e8vkd said:
jgn":236e8vkd said:

Can you bring me all of it? Please give me a price delivered to middle Alabama. I want it.
I mean it. PM me with a price please.
I got a surplus of 3000 round bales 4X4 all wraped. If You want them I wo'nt have to buy another 150 cows to eat it. The next farmer to me offer me 150 acres (free). Another one ask $2.00 for each bale but you get to process it. The people around me does'nt know what to do with their hay. Our problem, is too much rain.

Latest posts