Good grass height?

Help Support CattleToday:

BILL CLAYLAND

Reaction score
We have about 4 acres that had been used for hay and never fenced in. We always had Vern cut the hay and he would sell it. Then it was hard to get the field cut.
About 11 years ago there used to be about 6 mama cows runnin around this place, Its only11 acres total.

This is what it looked liked before I had to have it cut in April, my bushog couldn't handle it.

field.jpg

Before it was cut I fenced in a small area next to another fence line, let 3 head eat on that as well as the other small areas I have.
In late June I tried to get a neighbor Jerry to do my hay, he was doing a small field next door. He said to busy but buy this hay for $10 a bale you pick it up, I did they were the big sq bales 19 of them, nice weed free field. (My field, full of weeds).

So in the fall I started to fence the larger area in.
NewImage.jpg

Let the cows out in after a couple frost when I was done they had plenty to eat most of the winter.

This was February
cow2011.jpg

Now I have 2 cows 2 bull calves, Feeding out a steer, and Harry the bull is back for a short stay, Harry is reunited with his son.

I've got them off the new area that's fenced in and they seem fine. Im trying to hold out to let the grass grow, clipping the fields has helped a lot with the weeds.

Ill have to post a current picture of the field its amazing how good it looks without anything but clipping, there is still some thatch and I haven't limed or fert yet.

What a good height to let the grass grow, Its Orchard and red clover that's an old stand.

I would subdivide it into smaller areas so the cattle you have graze it from 10" down to 4" in three day, then move them. You will see even more dramatic improvement. Especially in weed control. Do a soil test and fertilize when they are not in the paddock and make sure there are at least a couple good rains b etween fertilizing and grazing again. Looks good thanks for the pics. Jim

BILL CLAYLAND":3vmrxvcr said:
We have about 4 acres that had been used for hay and never fenced in. We always had Vern cut the hay and he would sell it. Then it was hard to get the field cut.
About 11 years ago there used to be about 6 mama cows runnin around this place, Its only11 acres total.

This is what it looked liked before I had to have it cut in April, my bushog couldn't handle it.

field.jpg

Before it was cut I fenced in a small area next to another fence line, let 3 head eat on that as well as the other small areas I have.
In late June I tried to get a neighbor Jerry to do my hay, he was doing a small field next door. He said to busy but buy this hay for $10 a bale you pick it up, I did they were the big sq bales 19 of them, nice weed free field. (My field, full of weeds).

So in the fall I started to fence the larger area in.
NewImage.jpg

Let the cows out in after a couple frost when I was done they had plenty to eat most of the winter.

This was February
cow2011.jpg

Now I have 2 cows 2 bull calves, Feeding out a steer, and Harry the bull is back for a short stay, Harry is reunited with his son.

I've got them off the new area that's fenced in and they seem fine. Im trying to hold out to let the grass grow, clipping the fields has helped a lot with the weeds.

Ill have to post a current picture of the field its amazing how good it looks without anything but clipping, there is still some thatch and I haven't limed or fert yet.

What a good height to let the grass grow, Its Orchard and red clover that's an old stand.

Any new picks yet Bill ?