Good Deal?

Help Support CattleToday:

tim1970

Reaction score
I will start off by saying I am very new to raising cattle. For the past 2 years, I have been buying steers, and raising them for my freezer. My neighbor is needing to reduce his heard, and is offering to sell me 2 of his commercial cows. One is a brangus, and I am not sure of the other. ( He will be putting them in his corral this week to work them, so I will see them then). They have their 3rd calf on the ground right now, and are approx. 5 - 6 months bred. He assured me that both of them can calf without any problems. He offered to sell me both cows, along with their calves for $2K. He also told me, that every year he would let one of his bulls "roam" on to my property for about a month. He said he would sell me any 2 of the cows that I wanted from his heard that is going to market, but he would recomend the 2 above, because of age,calving ability and ease to work with.

Understand, I am not wanting to build up a money making heard. All I want is to supply beef to my family, and pay for feed costs. I don't have that much land, so I will never have more than 2 or 3 cows at one time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fat cows are bringing around 50 cents. So if the Brangus cow weighs 1200 she is worth 600. If she is 5 - 6 months bread means the calf is at least 6-7 month old and should weigh maybe 475 - 550. Run thru auction you'd get around $500 for them. Sounds like a deal to me.

I agree; it does sound like a good deal. My only question would be the cow's age. Are their teeth good? But it sounds like he's giving you a fair deal and willing to help by loaning you the bull.

I would think a better deal for you, given your goal, would be to buy steers from your neighbor and let the cows be. At least if you buy your steers from a known source, they are likely to be more healthy and you are more likely to be satisfied.

Hes giving you a good deal on the cows--- But stick to buying steers Two cows is just a bigger headache.

If they are both brangus and 5 years old as he says (third calf) send him to me. I don't need his bull or anything else. No strings attached. I'll buy both pairs. Cash in hand.

It is a good deal with the two cows with calves. BUT... if all you are wanting is beef for your family, then I would also stick with just getting steers like you have been in the past.

It sounds like a fair deal, however, 2 pairs and a bull for a limited amount of time, are gonna eat a substantial amount MORE than 2 steers. If your limited on grass Id probably stick to just buying steers. Even though they are easy calvers so far, doesnt mean they wont have problems at some point.

I believe he is offering you a good deal, BUT... if you look at this and compare the two options financially, I think you are much better off just buying you two steers per year. If you consider your input costs (hay, feed, vet, etc...) for the cows it will take you several years to recoup your investment on the cows. And there aren't any guarantees on how long they will last. And if you lose one calf, it just extends your payoff period that much longer.

On the other hand, if you want to have you a little cow-calf operation, go for it. I just don't think it makes sense financially. But then, I do a lot of things that don't make sense financially. :oops:

I still say buy them all. Take the cows to market as 5 year old heavy breds and make money on them. They have ear. They will fetch a lot of nickels in Texas.

Buy them all, keep the calves, sell me the cows.

backhoeboogie":2nfnzy0a said:
I still say buy them all. Take the cows to market as 5 year old heavy breds and make money on them. They have ear. They will fetch a lot of nickels in Texas.

Tim, that's an even better idea. With one minor change. Sell em to me. I'll give you $10 more than Backhoe. :lol:

Sorry Backhoe, in these troubling times, it's every man for himself... :lol: :lol:

skyline":2p7ibs9y said:
backhoeboogie":2p7ibs9y said:

Tim, that's an even better idea. With one minor change. Sell em to me. I'll give you $10 more than Backhoe. :lol:

Sorry Backhoe, in these troubling times, it's every man for himself... :lol: :lol:

You've probably seen the eared HB's go for $1400 plus all year too.

I am now a proud owner of some beefmaster cows. :D We'll see how they do. I expect good results.

I wouldn't buy them just because it doesn't sounds like it fits in with your own personal goals.

everyone is right it sounds like a great deal (assuming they look healthy).

I wouldn't buy them and sell them in the sale barn just because to me it sounds like your neighbor is offering this to you in a friendly manner. It would be a low blow to do that in my opinion. (of course i figure the nuckleheads above me were just joking :lol2: )

Yes, I was just joking. I wouldn't buy my neighbors cow and then turn around and sell it without him understanding my plans before the purchase. :oops:

Backhoe, glad to see you've come over from the dark side into the wonderful world of Beefmasters. I hope they work out for you. I'm tickled with mine.

CattleHand":8ymzw5lv said:
the nuckleheads above me were just joking :lol2: )

Who me?

Yes. :D

But I would buy them if offered to me. I am very serious about that.

good deal, I say take it. Calve them out (they won't have any trouble at that age), you now have six animals. Sell four, keep two for your beef. Your two freezer beef animals are now free. If you want to keep the cows and have more free beef, great. As long as he is supplying the bull, I see nothing wrong with that as long as you have the fences and such in place.

bigbull338":3l5z420r said:
you just cant go wrong with beefmasters boogie.

:D They are settling in nice. It took a few days to blend in.

When the overnight low in the summer is well above 80, they have enough ear to cope. I feel good about them. Just never had any of my own before.

backhoeboogie":1t4qta15 said:
bigbull338":1t4qta15 said:
you just cant go wrong with beefmasters boogie.

:D They are settling in nice. It took a few days to blend in.

When the overnight low in the summer is well above 80, they have enough ear to cope. I feel good about them. Just never had any of my own before.
im glad they are settling in.just dont expect them to ever completely join your other cows.because i doubt that will ever happen.ive had mine for close to 1.5yrs an they stay off to theirselves.an they come up when they want to.

Latest posts