Good, Bad or Ugly

Help Support CattleToday:

WichitaLineMan

Reaction score
4098962360_1844511454_b.jpg

WichitaLineMan":28rg5ql6 said:

Despite the comments - he is head and shoulders above 90% of the prized bulls we have seen on this site in the past couple of years

Most should be happy to put this guy to use over some of the funnels we see bragged about on this site

Bez

I don't know why we keep looking at pictures of bulls. On the commercial side, all that matters about a bull are his calves (usually at weaning) and how his daughters perform and hold up. Show me some 10, 12 and 15 year old daughters who are still producing, still have tight and sound udders, and can still move well and then we can oooh and aaaahh.

I don't know why we keep looking at pictures of bulls. On the commercial side, all that matters about a bull are his calves (usually at weaning) and how his daughters perform and hold up. Show me some 10, 12 and 15 year old daughters who are still producing, still have tight and sound udders, and can still move well and then we can oooh and aaaahh.

Who is he? While he certainly looks great, I agree with Brandon that I'd like to see daughters of a bull like that. I sure would expect them to be deep and fleshy.

Also agree with Bex, he's way better than alot of stuff I've seen, not just on the site though.

purecountry":3fd5il1z said:
Who is he? While he certainly looks great, I agree with Brandon that I'd like to see daughters of a bull like that. I sure would expect them to be deep and fleshy.

Also agree with Bex, he's way better than alot of stuff I've seen, not just on the site though.

I dont really know who he is but I suspect he is Hazlett-Turner bred?

Looks like the 943 Day Bull

day943bull-1.jpg

Brandonm22":8xm933va said:

well said

I also like how you said "his daughters perform" and not "how they look". sometimes a cow looks good because it can't perform.

I saw a study select sires did where people were asked to judge the calves of their studs. The clear front runner was Bar EXT traveler 205. He's old school, relatively low EPDs, not really even sure I like how he himself looks that much . . . but his calves were the best.

Actually he is a son of the D4 bull that Hereford76 posted in the other thread.

here is the full ad:
4098956872_8c0d7d3044_b.jpg

Couldn't give a hoot about EPDs or Breedplan. If I liked the look of him I'd use him over cows at least. Advance blood cattle put lots of leg under cattle when they first came to Australia but not a lot of anything else. Advance is way down in the pedigree of Australian Herefords now.

I'd love to use this bull or his sire D4. I see it as an opportunity to go back and grab a lot of the great traits that have been lost in modern breeding. The only thing I am not crazy about is his eyes in the photo. Would like to see a bigger picture of D4.

This particular bull was walking a pasture just about 4 miles south of where I am sitting typing this post.

I'd use him or D4 in a heartbeat on my best cows regardless of EPDs ect.

Australian":hoszg4j2 said:
Couldn't give a hoot about EPDs or Breedplan. If I liked the look of him I'd use him over cows at least. Advance blood cattle put lots of leg under cattle when they first came to Australia but not a lot of anything else. Advance is way down in the pedigree of Australian Herefords now.

Would you use the 943 bull?

If I am not mistaken, although there were/are a lot of good things about the D4 cattle, you do need to watch out as some of them are carriers of the hairless gene. Luckily I have heard that a new genetic test will be available soon to distinguish carriers of this recessive trait.

Latest posts