Going to "AI" what do you think on cross

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Sarria

Reaction score
Hi all I was hoping to get some input on what breed would be good to breed this cow I i am going to have her "AI" today she is a Char/ sim cross. she bin bred 2 time with black angus bull and has had 2 nice bull calfs so far, I was going to have her bred to a red angus bull this time what do you all think? Its the butter cup liking one White calf in back is her[
BCRoamcalfs.jpg

url][/url]

You have two continental breeds begging for a british breed to complement them. I of course, suggest a good stout Hereford bull. Take a look at Knersie's, and think of the possibilities.

I agree with greenwillowherefordII. Your Char/Sim cross is comprised of two Continental breeds, and to have at least an optimal chance at GOOD cross breeding, a British bull should be utilIzed for Maximum heterosis (maximizing positive traits). But - the important factors which you should pay particular attention to are the QUALITY (both genotypic and phenotypic) factors - AND the functional traits of what the bull will bring to the mating. Good feet, good udders with small teats, Fertility, strong bone, capacity and easy fleshing ability. The Hereford has most of those traits, if you select him with those points in mind. So would an Angus or Shorthorn bull. AND - so would a solid Irish Black bull, as they possess ALL of the necessary traits mentioned above, plus EXCEPTIONAL marbling and minimal body fat and 13" - 16" rib eye - if you are thinking of a Terminal operation.

But I guess it is a moot question now, inasmuch as you said you were going to AI her today.

Sorry you were not early enough to get some advice before you bred her!

DOC HARRIS

Yes sir, you are right I had her AI at 6:00 pm yesterday, The man who AI suggested I do a char BULL so that's what I did. Didn't think of a Hereford that would have bin a good one. Well we will see in nine month. I was told by the guy I bout her from she was a Lim/sim cross but the guy who AI out here said no way she has Lim, she has Char? Owell
Any how thanks for your in putt.

Char will work out fine. Interesting how the AI guy is so sure she isn't Char cross. The color is very common in Char crosses.

Latest posts