Going a different route with hay.

Help Support CattleToday:

Devin

Reaction score
I got the old disk mower serviced, blades belts oil etc. Pulled inot the first 25 acre field this morning and cut about 100yards and the drive shaft twisted out of it. This mower hasd been a POS from the day I bought it five years ago and is very lightly built. I spent the rest of the day trying to find the odd size shafts to fix it. I then called a local custom operator who said he would do all of my hay(cut rake and roll) for $25.00 a bale. I told him to bring it on and do all 150 acres. They are staring Monday. For a guy that works two public jobs I don't think I can go wrong with this arrangement. These guys are very reputable and have come to my aid many times when my baler was down. I am now looking forward to the summer for a change. Just wanting to know how many of you all have your hay custom harvested.

weve hired custom balers for the last 7yrs.an we dont have the stress of getting the hay cut an baled.but we did bale our own hay for 30yrs.putting up 400 to 600 bales every year.but since we have 60 to 70 beef cows now.we only feed 90 to 100 bales a year.going to try an put up 120 bales this year.

We used to have someone custom bale our hay. The problem was that they want to do the whole place at once. If you get a popup storm, your whole hay crop is hurt. We bale about 800 bales per year and cut it down on our schedule. Just something to consider.

I cut my own. I don't want to depend on others to cut and roll my hay when I want it rolled.

I do my own. Would be more coins in my pocket if I could depend on getting it done custom. We bail 220 to 700 per years. I like to put up hay since we don't do small square bales and do 5x6 round.

The reason I don't hire it out is that the custom balers cut theirs at the best times. That leaves everyone else with grass that is too old or cutting during questionable weather.

If it rains on my hay now, I only can blame myself.

I've always thought I could buy better hay than I could grow so just graze everything. Don't like to tie up the money for all the equipment either to use 3 times a year.

No hay used on this farm. The cows graze stockpiled fescue all winter long.

Latest posts