Goats eat a lot?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ricker

Reaction score
There is this woman who wants to sell her cow and steer to me. The cow and steer are a very, very good deal but she wants me to take her freaking goat too.

Says they are used to each other and she does not want to seperate them. I do not want to lie to her and tell her that I will keep the goat and then sell it. Seems to me the goat will eat a lot of my cows grass!!! I will probably pass on the deal.

She emailed me a pic:

Her quote:
Gracie weighs about 1600 lbs.
Little Man about 1000
Manny about 100lbs.

goatzw8.png

Are you sure she's not selling you the goat and throwing in two bovines to get you to buy? ;-)

Seriously, maybe you could build a pen for him and turn him out for a little while everyday to be with his buddies.

Buy them if you want, don't worry about the goat. Its not going to eat enough to notice - especially your grass. It is a browser like a deer. You will have to keep it wormed regular about once every 30 days in the humid south. Personally, the goat looks pretty good to me. I'd get them to the farm and a couple of days before the next shuttle launch, cap the goat and soak her in vinegar and ice water and have a BBQ. ;-)

if you don't have very good fences the roses in the garden and the washing on the line isn't safe either.

:lol: I have 3 goats, they do eat the stuff the cattle will not
touch. Goats at the local salebarn were bringing more than
cattle! :? do keep her wormed and vaccinated- should you keep her around.

IMO goats dont eat much but they will pee, poop and spray on hay and in feeders. jp

Take that goat, stake it out by a brush pile, and it will eat it down. Just don't do like my wife did and put them back in a pen at night and feed hay. She couldn't figure why they only ate the leaves and not the whole vine of blackberries. Hmmm, I wonder. ;-)

take the goat and let him improve your pasture.

ditto on the fence integrity issue.

I have barb wire fencing that any goat could go right through I am sure. This land is not near my home or any home for that matter and if the goat runs away, so be it. I explained that to her and she said the goat will not leave his cows and keeps them calm. I bet!

I do want the forage eaten and weeds too on this land. Maybe I need a goat herd instead. :eek:

I don't know how big your place is, but the fencing would be more of an issue to your landscaping plants and your neighbors. The goat may not run away, but trust me -- he WILL go eat the best looking stuff he can find, which may be weeds, but may also be your neighbors fruit trees or your wife's prized roses. Barbed wire is no obstacle.

It's a good looking goat, though. :)

Ricker":31p8glur said:
I just rememberd, you think a goat would fit in here????

gator_open_jaws.jpg

This land has a few of those on it. :shock:

Oops missed that part. Well, I'd say take the goat. I'll send you some revipes if you find you're not crazy about him.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. Of course they all look like future lunch meat to me. :lol:

All the goats we ever had don't like to get around water they'd rather starve than walk through 6 inches of water to get to the hill.

take the goat, pass on the cows. From the looks of those 2 cows in the pic I wouldnt mess with them. Check out this website goatdealer.com read the link to the article that says that adding a goat per cow adds up to 63% more pasture bc they eat the weeds that are competition for the cows.

Latest posts