Goat

Help Support CattleToday:

People actually LET goats jump on them???
šŸ¤£
Several years ago I had a few goats mostly dairy breeds and had the idea of crossing them with a meat type goat.
One heavy milking Sanaan doe always had just one baby and I had to milk her for a while. If milking the goat wasn't bad enough that little rascal baby goat that was fat as a butterball and growing like a weed would run around and jump up and spring board off of my back while I was sitting down there milking. I cringe now just thinking about them feet a hitting me. Then goat yogi people must be tougher than I've thought they were.šŸ˜‚

Milk her for the house. Thats a Nigerian Dwarf. They have sweet non goaty tasting milk but are so low to the ground you have to milk them into a sauce pan. Chill the milk real quick in jars.

Milk her for the house. Thats a Nigerian Dwarf. They have sweet non goaty tasting milk but are so low to the ground you have to milk them into a sauce pan. Chill the milk real quick in jars.
I'm drying her up.
If I find her a mate and she kids, I might think about it. But I'm not a huge milk drinker anyway.
I do like cheese....

She loves it up there!
View attachment 43763
Been watching her udder figuring it'd shrink up a bit. Don't appear to be the case. Don't see or feel any issues tho.
At least you know where to find her. I wouldn't change a thing, (i.e. move the table or trashcan) or she might find some escape route or other mischievous thing to get into.

You probably realize goats are escape artists. If this little doe gets out there is a big risk of being killed by dogs or coyotes. They are very smart and climb fences or find a way to go through. They jump on and dent cars, even climb into trees. Look at their eyes with the horizontal pupils. You can tell they are crazy.

You probably realize goats are escape artists. If this little doe gets out there is a big risk of being killed by dogs or coyotes. They are very smart and climb fences or find a way to go through. They jump on and dent cars, even climb into trees. Look at their eyes with the horizontal pupils. You can tell they are crazy.
She is a crazy lil snot!
And rotten too.... hope she don't turn into a horse.
20240419_142911.jpg
Spoiled. Gonna see if we can help thin her coat a bit. Get her fat and slick.
20240419_172732.jpg
She seems a bit thin under all her hair. Should probly worm her real good too.

All brushed out.
She stands sooooo still while being brushed. Even stops eating, chewing, everything! Crazy!
20240419_180120.jpg
Mouthful. Had to bust up those big ol squares. She tried like heck. Couldn't make it work.
20240419_180142.jpg
This will tell you a story. I told ya'll I knew next to nothing about a goat. Did you know goats only have 2 teats!?!?
She is drying up fine!
20240419_180315.jpg

All brushed out.
She stands sooooo still while being brushed. Even stops eating, chewing, everything! Crazy!
View attachment 43849
Mouthful. Had to bust up those big ol squares. She tried like heck. Couldn't make it work.
View attachment 43850
This will tell you a story. I told ya'll I knew next to nothing about a goat. Did you know goats only have 2 teats!?!?
She is drying up fine!
View attachment 43851
Trivia time-dairy goats have been selectively bred for 2 teats, and they typically have very good structure to them-people only have two hands to milk, after all, and kids are usually bottle raised for dairy animals. Boer goats (and a lot of other meat goats) have up to 4 (ideal), some look like they have a glove hanging under there because "more is better" when a doe is raising multiple kids-and many meat breeders don't pay attention to udder structure as long as the kids can nurse (like cattle).
Also like dairy cattle, fat dairy goats aren't great. Goats put down fat internally first, so by the time they're fat outside, they have choked off reproductive parts. She actually looks decent for a just weaned off girl. Deworming is a great idea. There is a goat and sheep specific worm-barberpole (haemonchous contortus) that will attach to the gut lining and bleed a goat dry-check lower eyelid color by pulling it down every few weeks. Pink to dark pink is good, white is super anemic/emergency. For ivermectin, typical dose for a goat is higher than for other species based on weight-nothing other than safeguard (useless) is labeled for goats thoughā€¦I'll try to dig up some stuff and send it to you if you're interestedā€¦

All brushed out.
View attachment 43849
View attachment 43850
She is drying up fine!
View attachment 43851
We have two pet goats, a dwarf nigerian and a pygmy. They'll stand statue still if you brush them, they love it. They make pretty darn good pets, way more personality that I ever expected.

Trivia time-dairy goats have been selectively bred for 2 teats, and they typically have very good structure to them-people only have two hands to milk, after all, and kids are usually bottle raised for dairy animals. Boer goats (and a lot of other meat goats) have up to 4 (ideal), some look like they have a glove hanging under there because "more is better" when a doe is raising multiple kids-and many meat breeders don't pay attention to udder structure as long as the kids can nurse (like cattle).
Also like dairy cattle, fat dairy goats aren't great. Goats put down fat internally first, so by the time they're fat outside, they have choked off reproductive parts. She actually looks decent for a just weaned off girl. Deworming is a great idea. There is a goat and sheep specific worm-barberpole (haemonchous contortus) that will attach to the gut lining and bleed a goat dry-check lower eyelid color by pulling it down every few weeks. Pink to dark pink is good, white is super anemic/emergency. For ivermectin, typical dose for a goat is higher than for other species based on weight-nothing other than safeguard (useless) is labeled for goats thoughā€¦I'll try to dig up some stuff and send it to you if you're interestedā€¦
Right on!
I've been reading about drenching and what not with safe guard. They also have some pellets or something. From what I understand the drench is a much better worming than a pour on or injection?

I was just gonna start with a pour on of ivermec. But I've also been reading about goat poop, body condition etc as signs of needing wormed. I'm on the fence as I really don't think she NEEDS a worming. Wish I'd have asked about prior owners protocol...
We have two pet goats, a dwarf nigerian and a pygmy. They'll stand statue still if you brush them, they love it. They make pretty darn good pets, way more personality that I ever expected.
She is pretty awesome. Clingy but pretty cool. Always wants attention. Super gentle. Loves to be petted and hand fed treats. Not big ol turds to clean up like a dog or cat either. I just blow that stuff around with a leaf blower into the yard and it seems to disappear into the soil.

I agree. Pretty good pet!

Right on!
I've been reading about drenching and what not with safe guard. They also have some pellets or something. From what I understand the drench is a much better worming than a pour on or injection?

I was just gonna start with a pour on of ivermec. But I've also been reading about goat poop, body condition etc as signs of needing wormed. I'm on the fence as I really don't think she NEEDS a worming. Wish I'd have asked about prior owners protocol...

She is pretty awesome. Clingy but pretty cool. Always wants attention. Super gentle. Loves to be petted and hand fed treats. Not big ol turds to clean up like a dog or cat either. I just blow that stuff around with a leaf blower into the yard and it seems to disappear into the soil.

I agree. Pretty good pet!
If her inner eyelids are pink and she doesn't have a big worm belly, don't need to deworm. Ivermectin paste is better than the pour on (which is often given orally to goats). Different fat distribution under the skin makes absorption different with the pour on in cattle vs goats. The safeguard works for tapeworms, which are visible in fresh poop, but not much else anymore.

Last edited:
If her inner eyelids are pink and she doesn't have a big worm belly, don't need to deworm. Ivermectin paste is better than the pour on (which is often given orally to goats). Different fat distribution under the skin makes absorption different with the pour on in cattle vs goats.
Good deal. I'll check eyelids this evening some time. Depending what she's eating, her belly seems perfectly normal. When I first got her, the kid was feeding her handful after handful of clover from the ditch that day. I don't how long they had been there selling goats in that parking lot, but from the looks of her belly, it had been a while! šŸ¤£

If her inner eyelids are pink and she doesn't have a big worm belly, don't need to deworm. Ivermectin paste is better than the pour on (which is often given orally to goats). Different fat distribution under the skin makes absorption different with the pour on in cattle vs goats. The safeguard works for tapeworms, which are visible in fresh poop, but not much else anymore.
FOMACHA is the termreference for looking at the eyelids. There is a card with a color 'scale' that matches the eyelid which indicates the level of infestation.

FOMACHA is the termreference for looking at the eyelids. There is a card with a color 'scale' that matches the eyelid which indicates the level of infestation.
FAMACHA-lots of information online and you can take a pay-for -it courseā€¦has to do with culling for worm resistance, only deworm the animals that need it, and do fecal egg counts to check dewormer effectiveness. Basic premise is to reduce parasite resistance to multiple classes of dewormers, which has become a huge issue with goats-especially since very little pharmaceutical development is done for goats.

Latest posts