Goat

Help Support CattleToday:

We had an angora that that stayed with our beef cows, Never a nuisance. Later I caught an angora kid off my
Grandmothers ranch and put her in with a calf I was raising on the bottle. She always stayed with my cows.
She managed to get herself caught in a bear snare :) But I found her before the bear come along.
Most goats seem to be a bit obnoxious, have thought one would be handy to have to keep vegetation from
growing into perimeter fences. But would have to redo cross fences to hold a goat. Then quickly dismiss the whole idea.
I honestly don't think there is such a thing as a goat proof fence. When it comes to fences, my impression is that goats are pretty much a Houdini. :)

We had an angora that that stayed with our beef cows, Never a nuisance. Later I caught an angora kid off my
Grandmothers ranch and put her in with a calf I was raising on the bottle. She always stayed with my cows.
She managed to get herself caught in a bear snare :) But I found her before the bear come along.
Most goats seem to be a bit obnoxious, have thought one would be handy to have to keep vegetation from
growing into perimeter fences. But would have to redo cross fences to hold a goat. Then quickly dismiss the whole idea.
I agree. Obnoxious is definitely the word. Very social too.
I went at lunch to see how she's doing now that she has the whole yard.
Yep!
Sure enough. She was on TOP of the shed!!
I knew that was coming. Couldn't get phone out fast enough for a pic tho.

I agree. Obnoxious is definitely the word. Very social too.
I went at lunch to see how she's doing now that she has the whole yard.
Yep!
Sure enough. She was on TOP of the shed!!
I knew that was coming. Couldn't get phone out fast enough for a pic tho.
You'll think it's starting to thunder one day and it will just be her pooping and peeing on the roof overhead. lol. I would make sure you don't have any exposed wires she can get to. Goats get bored and curious, and will nibble on lots of stuff. I've had em chew up tractor and trailer wiring before I realized what was going on.

You'll think it's starting to thunder one day and it will just be her pooping and peeing on the roof overhead. lol. I would make sure you don't have any exposed wires she can get to. Goats get bored and curious, and will nibble on lots of stuff. I've had em chew up tractor and trailer wiring before I realized what was going on.
I tried to remove anything that may be susceptible to her curiosity.

Shes cleaning up leftover leaves too. She will be bebopping along and just stop and snag a loose dried out leaf like a piece of candy!
Shes a trip for sure!

I'm a Previous goat owner. Never again... The only way to keep them in is a super hot electric wire around the inside top of their pen. Or train them to 3 strands of super hot electric wire,.. The baby Nigerians will fit through the squares on a hog panel and if you turn the panel upside down so they can't fit through, they will climb a Straight hog panel until they get to the big holes. And they will go in and out they way at will. Also they lose their cute factor really fast when you have to bottle feed 4 times a day and when they kid with 3to5 babies you get to try and untangle them with 2to 3 fingers because they're Not a cow back there. And your hand won't fit where it needs to...

I honestly don't think there is such a thing as a goat proof fence. When it comes to fences, my impression is that goats are pretty much a Houdini. :)

I'm a Previous goat owner. Never again... The only way to keep them in is a super hot electric wire around the inside top of their pen. Or train them to 3 strands of super hot electric wire,.. The baby Nigerians will fit through the squares on a hog panel and if you turn the panel upside down so they can't fit through, they will climb a Straight hog panel until they get to the big holes. And they will go in and out they way at will. Also they lose their cute factor really fast when you have to bottle feed 4 times a day and when they kid with 3to5 babies you get to try and untangle them with 2to 3 fingers because they're Not a cow back there. And your hand won't fit where it needs to...
I rest my case. ;) I also know of an instance where the owner of a 40 head goat herd had a billy that figured out how to jump the fence. (5' tall). The billy proceeded to teach half the herd to also jump and the owner had to get rid of half the herd. Unfortunately the owner missed realizing who all had learned to be a jumper, the owner missed one. The owner rebuilt the herd, the remaining jumper 'trained' half of the new herd, and the owner has gotten rid of half the herd, again.

The only fence I ever had that would hold goats is electrified netting.
Not bad to fool with in the winter but grass and weeds make it a hassle in the spring and summer.
If you feed them and give them a dry place to stay in, you can't run them off, they will follow you around.
I think a well bred goat is nice to look at and fun to watch, but no more goats for me.
By the way, which one is the old goat in the pictures?

The first time that goat eats something on that nice motorcycle of yours, might have a different opinion... I got 3 goats years ago from someone moving, gave them to me...they were a royal PITA .... Like @Hereford2 .... had to get the garden plowed and when I asked the guy what he wanted, he said he liked the goats... and I made a trade for the garden plowing... they got on the chicken house roof, and then on the truck... THAT WAS IT.......

I just quit even trying to keep them in a fence, because the only thing that would work was a dog kennel. They just hung around the barn, anyway, or out in the pasture with the horses. I had one that wanted to ride with me in golf carts, Mules, Gators, etc. I gave up trying to get him not to, so I would just let him ride with me.

Last edited:
I had a pet goat when I was a kid, a whether, I named him Billy the kid. He had a pen but if someone was home we would put a collar on him and chain him to a car rim so he could roam around and graze, eventually had to add more weight because he could drag a rim running. He climbed on top of my mom's car hood one day and my dad made me sell him after that. I'd like to have goats if they weren't such a pain to keep in.

Decades ago, while visiting my parents near Houston , I was telling my father about our home up near Caldwell and told my dad our yard was fenced with 5' tall chain link and a nice saint augustine lawn but I didn't have a lawnmower yet. My father decided, just we were leaving that my kids need a pet and hog tied a little goat he had acquired at the Salebarn for some reason and slid her into the back of my station wagon. I don't know what kind of goat it was.
"Now, you won't need a lawnmower, she'll keep that grass clipped down for ya"

Wrong. Ate the rosebushes, ate the hibiscus, ate the little sago palm, climbed up a leaning tree and was up on the roof eating leaves off the chinese tallow. Otherwise, was walking around in belly high grass and never ate a mouthfull. Final straw was coming home from work one day and found it had pushed thru a window screen, had eaten the inside potted ivy and every other plant in the house, got into the kids boxes of cereal, left goat berries all over and then started in munching on the couch cushions. That was the end of the goat. Ran into a friend of mine Gary Sabora that ran a little rodeo pen in Deanville and asked where I could get rid of a goat and he took it for kids to rope in the weekend rodeo.
Lawn mower was a cheap investment and gave the kids a weekend chore to keep 'em out of trouble.

Decades ago, while visiting my parents near Houston , I was telling my father about our home up near Caldwell and told my dad our yard was fenced with 5' tall chain link and a nice saint augustine lawn but I didn't have a lawnmower yet. My father decided, just we were leaving that my kids need a pet and hog tied a little goat he had acquired at the Salebarn for some reason and slid her into the back of my station wagon. I don't know what kind of goat it was.
"Now, you won't need a lawnmower, she'll keep that grass clipped down for ya"

Wrong. Ate the rosebushes, ate the hibiscus, ate the little sago palm, climbed up a leaning tree and was up on the roof eating leaves off the chinese tallow. Otherwise, was walking around in belly high grass and never ate a mouthfull. Final straw was coming home from work one day and found it had pushed thru a window screen, had eaten the inside potted ivy and every other plant in the house, got into the kids boxes of cereal, left goat berries all over and then started in munching on the couch cushions. That was the end of the goat. Ran into a friend of mine Gary Sabora that ran a little rodeo pen in Deanville and asked where I could get rid of a goat and he took it for kids to rope in the weekend rodeo.
Lawn mower was a cheap investment and gave the kids a weekend chore to keep 'em out of trouble.
You needed a sheep...not a goat! :)

You needed a sheep...not a goat! :)
There are lines regarding a group of things which I can not even imagine approaching and most certainly will not cross. Owning a jap or german brand vehicle or tractor, having relations with a male, eating brussel sprouts, drinking decaf coffee and near the top of that list of deviant behavior, owning a pasture maggot. Death before dishonor.

There are lines regarding a group of things which I can not even imagine approaching and most certainly will not cross. Owning a jap or german brand vehicle or tractor, having relations with a male, eating brussel sprouts, drinking decaf coffee and near the top of that list of deviant behavior, owning a pasture maggot. Death before dishonor.
I agree with you 100% on the dudes and the de-caf!!

Latest posts