Goat

Help Support CattleToday:

Now she needs a friend. There is no such thing as one goat.
She needs a Ram.
But I'm hesitant about having one of the smelly bass turds. She might get lucky and go visit somewhere a while.

Edit....
I'm not sure why they took her babies when they were only 2 months old. That's not enough time to breed back is it?

She needs a Ram.
But I'm hesitant about having one of the smelly bass turds. She might get lucky and go visit somewhere a while.

Edit....
I'm not sure why they took her babies when they were only 2 months old. That's not enough time to breed back is it?
I would find someone who has a Ram, and take her to see him. At one time I had two of them smelly turds. One could jump a 4' fence. I got rid of all my goats six years ago, glad they are gone. They started out as my sons 4H project, and I ended up with them after the divorce. Gave the young lady that wanted them a great deal to get rid of them.

She needs a Ram.

Edit....
You can cross a sheep and a goat, but you get a wierd looking animal with 4, 5 or more horns. I think you mean she needs a buck. Or billy. That is the names for male goats.

Part of the problem with young goats, the males can be very fertile very young. Most are capable and often will breed a female at 3 + months... and the "dwarf breeds" are more likely to try breeding young. Just like a young jersey heifer will often come in heat at 7-9 months and can get bred by a bull if she is still out running with her dam. And yes, I know it happens in all breeds but jerseys are somewhat more common to cycle young... at least in the dairy cow industry.
So, besides the market for baby goats... weaning the males off is very common with many goat breeders at 2-3 months; or they may catch their mother or their sister when they come in heat.

Yes, a Ram is a male sheep... a billy is a male goat. Buck is often used interchangeably for a sheep or a goat in this area... you hear someone say a buck sheep or a buck goat very often here at the stockyards...

With Nigerians you will probably get 3 or 4 kids. I was having troubles getting them sold. They are more of a novelty breed. That is why I got out of them.

I should have caught the Ram thing, I guess I must have been tired. LOL>

They make cute kids, and it is fun watching them jump all around.

Part of the problem with young goats, the males can be very fertile very young. Most are capable and often will breed a female at 3 + months... and the "dwarf breeds" are more likely to try breeding young. Just like a young jersey heifer will often come in heat at 7-9 months and can get bred by a bull if she is still out running with her dam. And yes, I know it happens in all breeds but jerseys are somewhat more common to cycle young... at least in the dairy cow industry.
So, besides the market for baby goats... weaning the males off is very common with many goat breeders at 2-3 months; or they may catch their mother or their sister when they come in heat.

Yes, a Ram is a male sheep... a billy is a male goat. Buck is often used interchangeably for a sheep or a goat in this area... you hear someone say a buck sheep or a buck goat very often here at the stockyards...
Why don't they put a little green band on the male kids ?

Are you planning to keep her around for a pet, or want more babies out of her down the road? If you're just keeping her for a pet, I'd get another cheap nanny or a wether to keep with her that way you wouldn't have the stink and aggravation that comes with a billy. Billies can make some awful racket too. Lol. When I had breeding goats, mine wouldn't breed until the fall, and I always wound up with babies in the middle of winter, which made for trouble if they got cold and didn't want to get up and nurse. When my first son came along we cut back on the goats since we didn't have as much time for them. I kept back a wether and nanny for him to have to piddle with at the barn and get used to working animals his size.

Why don't they put a little green band on the male kids ?
Alot of the ethnic markets want intact males.... for whatever reason... so many goat and sheep breeders don't go through the trouble to band. Some of the ones that have purebreds want to see how the males develop and then just sell the ones they don't want to keep as breeders or sell as breeders... and again, the ethnic markets will actually buy the intact males for a little more money than the banded ones.

She needs a Ram.

Edit....
A little young to wean, but they're cute and the pet market, ya know…. They can breed back (like cows) 1-3 months after kidding. 5 month gestation. If she gets wider this summer….

I knew that about the Ram/Buck thing. Brain fart. Never have been a goat person really.

Definitely not gonna eat her. I got plenty other stuff to eat!!

I have thought about getting a very young buck and putting with her for a couple months. The same folks actually have some that are 3 or 4 months old they are selling this weekend.

Shes just a backyard pet. But I wouldn't mind her having some kids to sell later. They are cute lil buggers.

We had an angora that that stayed with our beef cows, Never a nuisance. Later I caught an angora kid off my
Grandmothers ranch and put her in with a calf I was raising on the bottle. She always stayed with my cows.
She managed to get herself caught in a bear snare :) But I found her before the bear come along.
Most goats seem to be a bit obnoxious, have thought one would be handy to have to keep vegetation from
growing into perimeter fences. But would have to redo cross fences to hold a goat. Then quickly dismiss the whole idea.

Latest posts