GLS Declaration and HPF Optimizer

Help Support CattleToday:

Dale L

Reaction score
I have some semen certificates from Select Sires. Looking at getting some semen on these two bulls. My mind is pretty well made up on Optimizer, but I haven't seen much on Declaration. Anyone use him and if so do you have any pics or info on what you liked or didnt like. I haven't seen a mature picture of him either. If anyone knows where I could find one that would be great. Looking to breed some of my best cows and retain the heifers. The bull calves would either be marketed as bulls (if they were good enough) or castrated and shown by my kids at our county fair. One thing I noticed is Declarations stay epd is a little low.

We have lots of Optimizers, but only had one Declaration. We did breed several heifers to him, but they sold in our fall sale so I don't know how those calves worked out. We are happy with our one Declaration:

jhfqyh.jpg

2ymzy9k.jpg

She gets her color from her dam. I have not bought anymore semen on Declaration, only because I wanted to see what else appears out there. We are in the heavy season of showing, and I am not seeing any other Declaration sired cattle. Next week is Nationals, so I hopefully might find a few there. I like his EPD's, so will likely use more of him depending on how this heifer grows.

HPF Optimizer is one of the two foundation sires I use, the other is Cowboy Cut. He makes a great heifer or bull.

I have 3 bred to Declaration for September calves so it won`t be long before I can have an answer on him. Optimizer will give you good growthy calves but even out of a all black cows you can get white in places you really don`t want it. I had to steer one that otherwise should have remained a bull just because of white on each side out of an all black cow so I won`t use him after that.

jd720 said:
I have 3 bred to Declaration for September calves so it won`t be long before I can have an answer on him. Optimizer will give you good growthy calves but even out of a all black cows you can get white in places you really don`t want it. I had to steer one that otherwise should have remained a bull just because of white on each side out of an all black cow so I won`t use him after that.

I second your experience on the white.

We have one Declaration heifer out of a halfblood cow that is pretty stout and moderate.

Thanks you all for the replies. I am not overly concerned with the white that Optimizer throws. If I get a good heifer I will keep it myself. If I have too much white on a bull we'll band him and show him at our county fair.

As far as the moderate comment on Declaration. Did he decrease size or is the cow moderate. That's one thing I am trying to stay away from. Some of these bulls are getting too moderate for me these days.

Dale L said:
As far as the moderate comment on Declaration. Did he decrease size or is the cow moderate. That's one thing I am trying to stay away from. Some of these bulls are getting too moderate for me these days.

The cow isn't big by any means. Declaration's dam is a big girl and he himself isn't small. She might seem more moderate considering she is in with a September calf and she is a January. I should be able to get a picture this weekend at our county fair.

Here is our Declaration heifer. Spring calf champion at our county fair open show.

Latest posts