girth sizes

Help Support CattleToday:

Miss Daisy

Reaction score
I have never measured for a girth. I just find one in the barn thats in relativly good condition and throw it on the saddle. I have a string girth thats getting kinda ratty and i want to buy another one but i don't know what size to buy. When measuring the actual girth, do you measure from ring to ring or just the string part or someway else. I know how to measure the horse, just not the actual girth. Thanks for any input
-Jamie
p.s. i ride western

I wouldn't know the size by length, if I need a longer one I'll take one to the tack store and just compare them. Make sure the rings are even on both sides of the horse and go up the side of the horse rather than low on one side and/or under the horse too far.

JMO
Alan

Miss Daisy":2u7ozmhe said:
I have never measured for a girth. I just find one in the barn thats in relativly good condition and throw it on the saddle. I have a string girth thats getting kinda ratty and i want to buy another one but i don't know what size to buy. When measuring the actual girth, do you measure from ring to ring or just the string part or someway else. I know how to measure the horse, just not the actual girth. Thanks for any input
-Jamie
p.s. i ride western

Here ya go!

http://www.equisearch.com/horses_riding ... index.html

Miss Daisy":3m36o6m8 said:
msscamp":3m36o6m8 said:

I see that equisearch link more than just about anything else! Thanks msscamp

No problem! I subscribe to Equus magazine and it is an excellent magazine when it comes to horses. Equisearch is a web site provided by the editors of Equus, Horse & Rider, Practical Horseman, Dressage Today (I think that is their name), and one other magazine that I can't remember. I have never found incorrect information on their website, and believe me, I've checked with farriers, vets, and a few other people that I trust as well.