GH Neon 17N --> Curve Bender?

Help Support CattleToday:

I think maybe some of us have figured that out. The only thing I dont like is the milk number.

Calves look good and command a good price.

JHH":2crk9o3r said:
I think maybe some of us have figured that out. The only thing I dont like is the milk number.

Until you get a number of daughters into production the milk EPD doesn't mean much IMNTBHO.

George

Herefords.US":34tx3yj3 said:
JHH":34tx3yj3 said:

Until you get a number of daughters into production the milk EPD doesn't mean much IMNTBHO.

George

I know. I have talked to Robin at Upstream Ranch and she says they are working ok for them. I hope it will climb when there are more in production in several different operations. JHH

JHH":2swlt1tz said:
I know. I have talked to Robin at Upstream Ranch and she says they are working ok for them. I hope it will climb when there are more in production in several different operations. JHH

I'm betting that it will. I've been watching how the EPDs adjust on bulls as they become more widely used. The milk EPD can really be skewed by the first few daughters going into production. Online was once an 8, when his first few daughters were reported, and I watched Pure Gold bounce around from 16 up to 26.

On any young bulls that I'm considering using, I've started keeping a record of their EPDs and how they change as their calves are reported and then their daughters go into production.

P606 had a lot of changein his EPDs! I still think he's a great bull, but he's definitely not the heifer bull that he was once advertised. His brother, Nasdaq, sold today for $40,000+ for 1/3 interest to Shafer Ranch.

George

Herefords.US":1bbv745d said:
JHH":1bbv745d said:

I'm betting that it will. I've been watching how the EPDs adjust on bulls as they become more widely used. The milk EPD can really be skewed by the first few daughters going into production. Online was once an 8, when his first few daughters were reported, and I watched Pure Gold bounce around from 16 up to 26.

On any young bulls that I'm considering using, I've started keeping a record of their EPDs and how they change as their calves are reported and then their daughters go into production.

P606 had a lot of changein his EPDs! I still think he's a great bull, but he's definitely not the heifer bull that he was once advertised. His brother, Nasdaq, sold today for $40,000+ for 1/3 interest to Shafer Ranch.

George

Here are Online 122L's older EPD numbers from a couple of years ago followed by the most recent EPD numbers and the difference:

-5.2 5.2 64 118 8 40 7.2 1.9 0.001 0.58 0.02 $29 $14 $26 $30
-1.3 4.9 66 115 21 54 7.5 1.5 -0.032 0.69 0.13 $26 $16 $21 $36

Anymore thoughts since he is older.

I also think it is strange that his sire only had 1 daughter. What are we hiding? I was liking this bull but now have some reservations on him. Milk # still in the tank at 11 with 100 daughters. 6.5 frame may be a bit big to.

I have seen quite a few progeny at a friends place, his get wasn't extreme in size at all, very deep soggy cattle, the only problem I saw was that he had a definate tendency to sire pidgeon toes. I'm sure if I look hard enough I'll find a few pics of a few bulls sired by him out of probably the best horned hereford cowherd I have ever seen.

JHH":b16j5j7h said:
Anymore thoughts since he is older.

I also think it is strange that his sire only had 1 daughter. What are we hiding? I was liking this bull but now have some reservations on him. Milk # still in the tank at 11 with 100 daughters. 6.5 frame may be a bit big to.

You need to look on the AHA or Canadian Hereford site for his sire listing. The performance pedigree's are not always current.

Latest posts