Gestation table

Help Support CattleToday:

Jovid

Reaction score
I guess I have a heifer that forgot to read the gestation table. Calf was due on Feb 11th but to my surprise it was born on Tuesday. Must have been those warm nights we have been having somewhere around 10 degrees.

I know the day she was bred because she jumped the fence to get with the bull and was with him for less than 24 hrs. Calf and momma are doing fine.

Just goes to show ya that cows and heifers will calve whenever they are ready.

Folks say they can be as much as 2 weeks early or late from the normal 283 days.

My biggest difference has been about a week early.

remsteel6":ft1np9xu said:
Look at it this way, she calved sooner so you can breed her back sooner :D

That is true but due to the strange winters we have here in Oklahoma I will probably wait and shoot for a March calf.

I've talked to a lot of people and read on here about a lot of early calves this year.
Anyone else noticed this?

remsteel6":18swk8p1 said:
I've talked to a lot of people and read on here about a lot of early calves this year.

Just had our second calf born yesterday a week early also. So we are now two for two with earlier than expected calves.

The good thing is they are both heifers and mommas are doing well :D :D :D

Jovid":1gq60kzy said:
remsteel6":1gq60kzy said:

Just had our second calf born yesterday a week early also. So we are now two for two with earlier than expected calves.

Maybe it's an Oklahoma thing I've had 38 first calf heifers calve so far one 13 days early alot of 10 day early calves and only one that went 1 day over :?:

EAT BEEF":znb3e5a5 said:
Jovid":znb3e5a5 said:
remsteel6":znb3e5a5 said:

Maybe it's an Oklahoma thing I've had 38 first calf heifers calve so far one 13 days early alot of 10 day early calves and only one that went 1 day over :?:

Could be an Oklahoma thing. Guess I will have to bring all the cows into the maternity ward a little earlier.