Gert Cross heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

BC

Reaction score
This Charolais cow is doing a good job with this Santa Gertrudis sired heifer. The heifer was born 1/18/2013. I will wean her the first week in August when I get back from the TAMU Beef Short Course.

3waycross":359xwpgj said:
She needs weaned. She has just about sucked her momma dry!
You think?!? :). What happens to a calf like that when u pull em off their momma and "turn em out?". How long do you leave your cows on their momma typically? Thanks in advance.

That heifer is 189 days old today. I typically wean at 6 to 8 months depending on my forage resources. I usually feed a protein supplement to my replacement heifers as our grass is deficient in protein for a growing calf.

very nice! hope that you have a great time at the short course : )
Please let us know what you thought of it.

I never thought about that cross till mdtn posted his. I like it. I wish I had a few heifers bred like that.

BC ..I REALLY LIKE the pair you posted! How many calves has that cow had for you and about what would she weigh? She must be a milking machine!

I hope to find someone who agrees on gert/char heifer. I will have a few to sale. We have keep some in the past and had excellent luck with them.

jasonleonard":2iyfrjqi said:
BC ..I REALLY LIKE the pair you posted! How many calves has that cow had for you and about what would she weigh? She must be a milking machine!
This is her 4th calf. She is lucky to be a cow. I work part time as an order buyer one or two days a week and bought her to go on a load of feeder heifers. I miss guessed her weight (most of the sales in Texas weigh after they are sold) and got her cut her off the order because she weighed 610 and the order called for heifers weighing 500 to 575. As happens some times, you start a new deal and I bought some more heifers to graze myself. Six months later and it is time to ship, she is bagging up, so she gets cut off again and becomes a cow by default. She has done a good job of raising her calves. I run her and Sim-Angus cow my wife inherited with my Santa Gertrudis herd to show people what good crossbred calves can be raised.

Weaned and weighed calves today. The Gert X Charolais heifer pictured earlier weighed 678 lbs @ 202 days old. I was pleased with my weights today.

Latest posts