Genes

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Does the male or female genes determines the sex of an animal? How much does a bull contributes to the calf? I mean a black bull with a white cow could produce a white cow. How is that? Thanks
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Strictly speaking, the bull determines the sex of the calf. A male is a x/y chromosome and a female is a x/x. Only the male can contribute the y to make the x/y pairing. However, some feel that the ph of a cow's system can favor either the x or y of the bull so as to accept only one.<p>As for a black bull and white cow making a white calf, it is possible in a couple of ways. Black is the dominant color, but a black bull that isn't pure black can carry red or white genes depending on his background. On rare occasions a pure black bull will throw a white calf, for example on a Charolais cow. The calf while looking white will throw predominantly black calves though.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":kks5kuzx said:
: Does the male or female genes determines the sex of an animal? How much does a bull contributes to the calf? I mean a black bull with a white cow could produce a white cow. How is that? Thanks<p>Jason;<br>I appreciate your response. I have an eight year old cow that has had 6 bull calves and I have wondered how that could happen. Apparently her PH is rejecting the y chromosome. Her dam was 75% brangus and her sire, (AI) was Exacto, one of the best bulls in the breed. I say that only to say, she also has stubby little horns. With all that polled background, I've wondered where the horns came from. Her calves look good and sell well so she will be around for awhile. Thanks for your response and Thanks to you Billy for your time. <br>Mack<p>
<br>

[email protected]