Generic pour on dewormers

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
For you all who use them do the your cattle look and perform the same or worse than when using name brands like eprinex, cydectin, dectomax, etc. The generics are so much cheaper I'm tempted to try some this fall.

Caustic Burno":3hhebwrw said:
No difference that I have noticed, just finished doing three pastures and myself.
Just going by the pic, but it sure looks like the generic is working for you.

With ANY medication or compound, the "Brand Name" is a function of advertising $ and marketing.

Compare ONLY the "Active Ingredients" on the label. That is the bottom line for anything.

...just stay away from "bootlegged" third world country stuff.

As long as the manufacturer is legitimate, again, "active ingredients" are the only thing that matter, not the Brand Name.

gertman":461vplbg said:
For you all who use them do the your cattle look and perform the same or worse than when using name brands like eprinex, cydectin, dectomax, etc. The generics are so much cheaper I'm tempted to try some this fall.

I can't help you with the eprinex, or dectomax because we've never used them. We have, however, used cydectin and had good results.

Several univsersities have done several studies comparing all of the different brands including the generic and have found the generic does lack some of the benefits that the "name brand" wormers provide.

Many of the generics don't control as many pests and stages like cydectin and eprinex and dectomax. The studies have also shown that post weaning gain on pastured calves is lower with the generics. This is what the studies have shown, not anything that I have seen first hand.

We have used the generics and all the other brands, and I can't see much difference. I have noticed the generics don't last as long as the name brands when we have used them in the fall for lice. The name brands have controlled lice much longer. As far as all of the worms, I have no idea.

Cal-Poly has done alot of research on it, all independent from the wormer manufacturers. You could check out any of their research.

I use the generics on the mature cows, and eprinex on the calves. If a cow looks below average, she gets a squirt of the "good stuff".

cfpinz

r and s peckman":1oenfa2b said:
Tried the generic once, even the vet warned me, never again. Will stick to eprinex, dectomax, and cydectin.

Explanation, please.

Our vet had some at his office for alot less money than the other. I ask him about it and he said that he would not use it and that others that had tried it did not like it. Well I was trying to save money and bought some. I did not think that it did a good job. Why is that? I did not think that the calves slicked off, keep their rough hair coat. Could of been other factors to cause all of that and maybe in the back of my mind of what the vet said. This was several years ago and I do not remember the name of the product.

randiliana":ffylzliw said:
r and s peckman":ffylzliw said:
Tried the generic once, even the vet warned me, never again. Will stick to eprinex, dectomax, and cydectin.

Our vet even uses the generic stuff on his cows (ivermectin).
My vet also uses it on his own cows.

Latest posts