gender selected semen

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Monsanto to discontinue Decisive semen
Monsanto announced last week that it will discontinue its development of Decisive semen for advanced gender selection in cattle. Field testing showed the technology met the desired female-calf ratio of 85 percent, but fertility was not equivalent to conventional A.I. semen. For more details, go to http://www.dairyherd.com.

That seems to be the norm with all this sexed semen, it doesn't settle cows as well as conventional semen. I don't expect to see many people using it in their normal breeding program. I do see it being used in flush programs though.

And then there is the Bovatel and Affirm technology that Accelerated is promoting. I can't remember which is which, but they provide a better chance of conceiving a female. Guys that tested it in the dairies are pretty convinced by it, there have definitly been more female births. But our cows are calving more heifers to bulls this year, and they weren't bred with this type of semen.

Who knows? It is all very interesting.

ENNOT":1o8rs0kg said:
That seems to be the norm with all this sexed semen, it doesn't settle cows as well as conventional semen. I don't expect to see many bee people using it in their normal breeding program. I do see it being used in flush programs though.

And then there is the Bovatel and Affirm technology that Accelerated is promoting. I can't remember which is which, but they provide a better chance of conceiving a female. Guys that tested it in the dairies are pretty convinced by it, there have definitly been more female births. But our cows are calving more heifers to bulls this year, and they weren't bred with this type of semen.

Who knows? It is all very interesting.

So what is the Bovatel and Affirm technology?

dun

Not totally sure, even though I sell for Accelerated. They don't really give any definite info on it, but it is somehow engineered to produce more females. It is not sexed at all.

Go to http://www.accelgen.com and click on the websites for Affirm and Bovatel.

the other one i have seen has the same conception as regular AI. instead of cutting the semen to the standard concentration of semen, they use the same normal 50/50 semen concentration, then add in a ton of sexed semen. this way the actual semen concentration is much higher, but probability kicks in and over a large group, there should be a big difference.

i havent heard of any results and honestly cant remember where i saw this.

BTRANCH":26t0d4u7 said:
Science is going to keep fooling around and we are going to wind up with animals with 2 heads!!

spotty.jpg

Dependabull (local stud that collects my bull) is sexing semen using a different technology (don't know what) and he is getting equal conception rate - BUT, he is putting just as many sexed sperm in each straw as he does his normal semen - 30 million. :shock:

No, but we may be having him collected & sexed this next month - mainly for our own use. Haven't decided what we would have to charge to sell it. ABS charges $50 for normally $20 semen. I can't imagine people willing to pay that much, but that's in line with the extra costs/loss involved. PM me if you are interested.

The two headed thing may not be to bad, they would eat the same amount of grass in half the time as a normal calf would, this would mean they get twice as much rest between feedings, surely this means added pounds per day of age. 8)

Latest posts