Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Help Support CattleToday:

Why the c-section? Cow looks to be big enough and the calf doesn't look all that big... how much did the calf weigh? Were there other complications?

TN Cattle Man said:
Why the c-section? Cow looks to be big enough and the calf doesn't look all that big... how much did the calf weigh? Were there other complications?

Calf was upside down and forward. They can be tricky to right without breaking the umbilical cord. It takes me an hour to put a side door in and sew it up. Both are doing well. Practiced two weeks ago on a big calf out of a little heifer

gcreekrch said:
TN Cattle Man said:

Calf was upside down and forward. They can be tricky to right without breaking the umbilical cord. It takes me an hour to put a side door in and sew it up. Both are doing well. Practiced two weeks ago on a big calf out of a little heifer

Dave, congratulations. Do you always wear that plaid wool cap. Lol

Hook2.0 said:
We did one once. All the vets in 5 counties were gone on a large animal conference. No other options. Got a dead calf out and the heifer lived 2 days and died

I can do that good, you can only go up from there Hook.

Well, done. Always good when being proactive works out. We had our first ever cesarean last year, was a stinking hot day. Calf was upside down with a leg back. Calf was alive and cow marked to cull.....then i got curious if she could breed back and calf ok. Soooo she just calved 3 weeks past 12 months on her own unassisted. She was always a good cow calving easy every year.

True Grit Farms said:
That's excellent, I'd like to learn how to do a C -section on a cow. I'm all ears if you want to share how and why.

Clip them clean, wash lots with some kind of iodine based disinfectant, don't get in a rush and use lots of penicillin. You should also sew the uterus up twice. Once to close the incision and then fold the incision inward and sew again to stop leakage.

A scalpel, surgical scissors, a forceps a curved needle and a big S curved needle for the hide is the extent of the tools I use. Freeze with Duracaine use #3 catgut for stitching and again, use lots of pen.

I was fortunate to be growing up when Continental cattle first hit the country and everyone was breeding 1000 lb Hereford cows to elephants. I stopped at the vet clinic whenever there was a vehicle backed up to the chute. Later, after I did my first, ( saved calf, cow died of peritonitis) I had two old friends who had done many of them and would answer the finer points I asked. I have about 100 behind me now.

Use lots of penicillin!

Bright Raven said:
gcreekrch said:
TN Cattle Man said:

Dave, congratulations. Do you always wear that plaid wool cap. Lol

I have two of them! Switch off when one gets sweaty and needs drying. Wear from fall to late spring and on cold, rainy days in summer.

A good black felt for weddings, rodeos and funerals and numerous caps that cost lots but the bulls were free to work in.

Great set of pics and description!
Last one that had a C section here, it was too late for the calf but she did fine after, adopted another calf and bred back, sold her in the fall though.. I didn't notice the vet using any penicillin, just gave a shot of draxxin after.

I had enough "teaching moments" this year with my prolapse.

gcreekrch said:
True Grit Farms said:
That's excellent, I'd like to learn how to do a C -section on a cow. I'm all ears if you want to share how and why.

Clip them clean, wash lots with some kind of iodine based disinfectant, don't get in a rush and use lots of penicillin. You should also sew the uterus up twice. Once to close the incision and then fold the incision inward and sew again to stop leakage.

A scalpel, surgical scissors, a forceps a curved needle and a big S curved needle for the hide is the extent of the tools I use. Freeze with Duracaine use #3 catgut for stitching and again, use lots of pen.

I was fortunate to be growing up when Continental cattle first hit the country and everyone was breeding 1000 lb Hereford cows to elephants. I stopped at the vet clinic whenever there was a vehicle backed up to the chute. Later, after I did my first, ( saved calf, cow died of peritonitis) I had two old friends who had done many of them and would answer the finer points I asked. I have about 100 behind me now.

Use lots of penicillin!

Thank you, lot's of penicillin got that, do you always pull the calf out rear legs first?

I think C-section has always been more prevalent in Canada than across the border.
I personally, have never had one and don't think I know anyone that has had one done. Hasn't been quite 50 years yet, but close!!! LOL

wbvs58 said:
The thing that I appreciated the most in those photos Dave was the chair. Good series of photos though.

Ken

Some would say smart move but I will admit I've gotten older and lazier! Thanks Ken.

True Grit Farms said:
gcreekrch said:
True Grit Farms said:

Use lots of penicillin!

Thank you, lot's of penicillin got that, do you always pull the calf out rear legs first?

If you don't get the bottom of the uterus out before opening up you will be sewing up inside the cow.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I think C-section has always been more prevalent in Canada than across the border.
I personally, have never had one and don't think I know anyone that has had one done. Hasn't been quite 50 years yet, but close!!! LOL

I hope you didn't jinx yourself now...……..

Nice photos! Have seen one c-section myself in neighbour's dairy farm. She had another next year, but I was away and couldn't attend it, unfortunately. Never had one in our farm, but you never know when it'll be needed.
I should start learning it next year at the vet school. It sure will be interesting. Have watched a lot of videos and read info about the whole procedure.

Latest posts