Gator

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy

Reaction score
Well you Texans still have a way to go to catch up with ours and Lousiana's gators but your getting better.

Gator.jpg

This was found at Bar X, which is between Angleton and West Columbia, near a house. How would you like to meet this fella in the dark? Never let it be said that we don't grow them big in Texas.

Game Wardens Forced to Shoot Alligator <guess he wouldn't cooperate>

Anita and Charlie Rogers could hear the bellowing in the night.

Her neighbors in Bar X Ranch had been telling them they had seen a giant alligator in the bayou that runs behind their house, but they dismissed the stories as exaggerations.

"I didn't believe it," Charles Rogers said. Friday they realized the stories were, if anything, understated. Texas Parks and Wildlife game wardens had to shoot the beast.

Joe Goff, a game warden with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, walks past a 13-foot, 1-inch alligator that he shot and killed in the back yard of the home at the Bar X Ranch on FM 521 near West Columbia. Texas.

Whoa! Thats a big one.

Bet he could eat a:

Hog and a 1/2, a cow and a calf.

now thats 1 big gator.i wouldnt want to run into him nite or day.thats for sure.heck he can eat anything he can get a holt on.scott

Ryder":zbes3xvw said:
flaboy":zbes3xvw said:
Well you Texans still have a way to go to catch up with ours and Lousiana's gators but your getting bett

Just have to remember that everybody has to start somewhere.
That one is not all that bad for a beginner.

You got that right. Pretty good for a beginner. Years ago they shot a 12 footer next to my grandpa's dairy. It was in an old shell pit and they thought it had killed a girl that was swimming in the pit. They were right. Found her arm inside it and then divers found the rest a day or two later.

That gator looks to be a bit more than 13 foot. The guy next to him is six foot and he doesn't even make up for the tail. We eat the heck out of them down here. In fact they are in season right now in Florida. Thing is you have to be drawn by the state and then they dictate exactly which body of water you may remove one from. Have to spear, harpoon etc first then you can use a bangstick after you get him boatside. My buddy runs a little processing operation for wild game and has been doing the gators up for a 3 or 4 years now. I've seen several 11's and a rare 13- the gator above looks bigger. Seems like since we started harvesting them the big boys are getting thinned out a little bit.

There's a big gator farm just south of Montgomery. They feed the dead chickens from the numerous chicken houses around here.

Last time I was there they were loading some on a 24 ft. aluminum stock trailer with two extra floors above the main floor. Had big rubber bands around the snout and were only about 4-5 feet long.

The hide is the most precious commodity from the gator - the reason for the small harvesting size. They were going to La. to a processing plant that packages the meat and tans the skin for belt, purses, shoes, etc.

Eating an old, big gator is NOT a very good eating experience.

Ryder":pq7hgx9h said:
flaboy":pq7hgx9h said:
Well you Texans still have a way to go to catch up with ours and Lousiana's gators but your getting bett

Just have to remember that everybody has to start somewhere.
That one is not all that bad for a beginner.
I think we are quite happy to stick with our little 13 footers. ;-) You all can have the bigger beast.

Dang, there was a few people i would have loved to introduce that gater too before they shot it!

Can you imagine that thing swimming through downtown New Orleans just after the hurricane....... would be alot less looting goin on eh? and even less bodies floating through town.

Also imagine this.......gator sure aint no vegetarian...can you also imagine just how much meat that ol fella would have had to pack away over the years to get that big? Wonder how many deer, calves, hogs, poor little doggies, and kitty cats, etc went into it?

What an almost perfect waste disposal unit that thing had to be...........don't like your mother in law anymore? No problem...take her for a long walk along the creek behind the house, or better yet, send her dog out, then let her look for it later on after dark..................yeah mom, keep going waaaay back there, .......yeah, thats where I saw your little poopsie a while ago, ...yeah thats it, right next to the creek.........yeah ya got to get right next to the creek and make some noise so your little poopsie can hear you out there. yeah....thats it..... it should hear you anytime now.............anytime now...........lol :p :cboy:

Latest posts