gated horses

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
what would you get crossing an Icelandic 5 gated pony with a Rocky mountin horse ? Faster gates...more mane and tail?

Sounds like an interesting combination. We saw an incredible demo of the Icelandics at the Equine Extravaganza in Richmond, VA, last year...and what a show they put on...the 'tolting' thing (their 5th gear?) where the riders were each carrying a full glass of beer and didn't spill a drop!

first - it spelled gaited not gated

second - it sounds what we call a single-foot in the Ozarks of Missouri. Really nice trail gait.

Peg... This is what I got when I ask your question on our home board. This lady has been raising Icelandics for 30 years.

The possibility of out-crossing Icelandics (usually in an attempt to get increased size) comes up every now and then. From what I have heard in the past, the crosses don't turn out too well, from the point of view of gait retention, for example (I know of an accidental cross between an IH and a TWH that, while very sweet, can't gait a step, ditto for one between an IH and a Standardbred, and for IH/QH). The cross doesn't necessarily get the wonderful Icelandic personality and temperament, either.

As far as crossing the breed with the Rocky Mountain, what would be the point in that (if it's not size)? If it's to introduce the silver dapple chocolate color found in the RM horses, it's already in the Icelandic breed. A breeder who bought a very good imported mare from me had some RMs and has since sold them (I believe her words were that they were "too much trouble" comparatively) and is concentrating on Icelandics -- she likes the silver dapple color, by the way, and has a silver dapple stallion.

Even though small, they are fast and strong, so an adult can still ride one and keep up with the big boys. Among purebreds, the very large horses (over 14 hands) are generally considered less flexible (more stiff) and are usually not as desirable, although I have noticed a trend to an increase in size over the last couple of decades (average is now more like 13.2, rather than 12.3). But that increase might be due to improved nutrition and not to selection.

JMO, but I would say that the vast majority of those with Icelandics want to keep them pure, rather than out-cross them and very possibly lose the traits that make them special. Every now and then, I run into someone with a cross, but usually to due to fence jumping, lol, not as a planned breeding. As far as being able to use an Icelandic stallion on a non-Icelandic mare, the stallion contracts which I have seen all stipulate purebred, registered mares only. Not to say that a mare owner couldn't find someone somewhere with a colt who would be willing to breed it, but the high-quality evaluated stallions wouldn't be available, I wouldn't think

Had a 2 GATED horse once - Out the pasture gate and back in every time we rode her.

RGV

Thanks for the info :) Of course I know it's "gaited",but what's in my head dosn't always come out the fingers :lol: :oops: I think an IH in 5th was Odens "8 legged horse.."

Latest posts