Gate question

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but here goes. Doing some cross fencing, I am in a location that I would rather put the gate in the middle of the fence instead of the corner for ease, is this a big deal? My current small herd is pretty tame and would follow me through it no problem. This will be shut after they go through, had just heard that you always want your gates in the corners for cattle flow.

Your work, your place, your choice, but unless you don't mind doing work over again, do yourself a favor and put a gate in the corner too, even if you think that you won't use it. I'm betting that you will soon decide to, and it's easier to put it in now than to have to redo the corner. Remember that the current animals which you have will be gone long before the fence, and that one future animal which has a mind of it's own and does not take to your management or working style may make you regret your decision.

I have pretty easy handling cattle that will follow me anywhere I want with a bag of cubes. I would suggest you put a gate in the corner. I can separate cows in the field by myself in a corner. This would be hard if not impossible with a mid fence gate even with easy handling cows. If you need the mid fence gate for convenience put one but put a corner gate also. I know you probably realize this but a mid fence gate is also more expensive.

This isn't directly answering your questIon, but while putting the gate in the corner will probably work better for moving cattle, I would never put one directly in the corner. Moving it out of the corner, even if it's only 8 to 10 feet, will make it much easier to go through with vehicles or equipment. Especially if you're pulling a trailer or implement. You can build a short stretch of board fence coming out of the corner and then place your gate to avoid the need to build another set of pull posts, assuming you're building a wire fence.

You can make it work, if it becomes a problem, premier makes a cool cattle netting fence just like for sheep. Make Diagonal temporary fence out from the gate and get them through.

Kell-inKY":8p6ae5dp said:
Probably a dumb question but here goes. Doing some cross fencing, I am in a location that I would rather put the gate in the middle of the fence instead of the corner for ease, is this a big deal? My current small herd is pretty tame and would follow me through it no problem. This will be shut after they go through, had just heard that you always want your gates in the corners for cattle flow.
My opinion...put it where it makes sense to you.

Have plenty in the middle, just worked with the lay of the land. I'm never working cattle hard thru them though. I call and they follow.

Rafter S":1jfpe63v said:
This isn't directly answering your questIon, but while putting the gate in the corner will probably work better for moving cattle, I would never put one directly in the corner. Moving it out of the corner, even if it's only 8 to 10 feet, will make it much easier to go through with vehicles or equipment. Especially if you're pulling a trailer or implement. You can build a short stretch of board fence coming out of the corner and then place your gate to avoid the need to build another set of pull posts, assuming you're building a wire fence.
I like your idea, moving it over 8' makes more sense. Of course I already set it in concrete in the corner tonight... I'll move that one and the next ones, have to pull fertilizer buggies and everything else through there. Thanks.

Kell-inKY":l2e5g4wm said:
Rafter S":l2e5g4wm said:
I like your idea, moving it over 8' makes more sense. Of course I already set it in concrete in the corner tonight... I'll move that one and the next ones, have to pull fertilizer buggies and everything else through there. Thanks.

You're welcome, and I'm glad I could help.

I bought my place when I was young. I had a little 35 horse tractor, and much smaller equipment. I also think I picked up a bunch of 12' gates used cheap. Anyway, things have changed now, and I wonder why I have any openings less than 16'. Parts of my place are pretty hard to get around in. Go for the gusto, and put as many gates as you want. Just make sure they are wide.

Bigfoot":2mp42rk6 said:
I bought my place when I was young. I had a little 35 horse tractor, and much smaller equipment. I also think I picked up a bunch of 12' gates used cheap. Anyway, things have changed now, and I wonder why I have any openings less than 16'. Parts of my place are pretty hard to get around in. Go for the gusto, and put as many gates as you want. Just make sure they are wide.
The gate width is a problem I have here. 95 years ago when the place was cleared and the gates put in they used 2 foot square concrete gate posts and made all the openings just a tick shy of 12 foot.

No such thing as too many gates or a gate too wide.
If you have only one gate in a fenceline here, and you or the cows use it much, it will turn into a mud hole in wet season.

Other answers pretty much covered it, but just wanted to mention something you said wrote in your questions..."current herd". Build your systems for your worst case scenario future herd and life will be easier. If you only want one gate, and you want it in the middle, make sure the gate opens in the on the side that will most facilitate running a waspy heifer down the fence line and through the gate.

farmerfarmer":1ta8qo24 said:
Other answers pretty much covered it, but just wanted to mention something you said wrote in your questions..."current herd". Build your systems for your worst case scenario future herd and life will be easier. If you only want one gate, and you want it in the middle, make sure the gate opens in the on the side that will most facilitate running a waspy heifer down the fence line and through the gate.

I know I'm different than most people, but instead of hanging a gate between the posts, so it's in line with the fence, I often put my posts a little closer together and hang the gate on the front of one post, so it hits against the other post. Of course this will reduce the gate opening size by a few inches, but you can just get the next size larger gate if that's an issue. The big advantage to doing this is you can open the gate 180° all the way back against the fence so it's out of the way. This is particularly advantageous if the gate will ever be left open. It's against the fence and not sticking out in the way. And you don't have to worry about it being in the way when "running a waspy heifer down the fence line and through the gate."

A gate open at 90 degrees, will often pull a corner post over to. I like to open all the way back.

This particular one will have to be opened and shut a lot, and since it is just a cross fence I am using those Sure Latch gate latches that allow it to open either way. The amount of 4 wheeler traffic from the boys is a major issue and you can just lean up and open the gate without getting off that way. Fence will just be 2 strand high tensile.

In the winter I will just take the gate off completely so they can get to the pond without having to water them. I would rather break ice in the winter than worry about frozen hydrants etc.

I guess you guys have me talked into the 16' gates now, more money! Have to be able to get a lime truck through there, though I think the biggest problem is the low trees, and I've cut limbs till I'm blue in the face. How wide are the big 3 wheeled Lime spreaders anyway? Can they easily fit through a 12' gate?

IMHO only a bicycle passes through a 12 foot gate easily
I dunno--leave a 4' wide gate open and see how quick a dozen mommas and calves can run thru it.

I have never, in 40 years, had a gate left open at 90°pull a gate post over. Have had one pulled over because jackass hunters kept climbing over a chain locked gate. :(

This particular one will have to be opened and shut a lot, and since it is just a cross fence I am using those Sure Latch gate latches that allow it to open either way
If it is this kind, make sure you drill thru the hole on the gate part--drill it thru the tube on the gate and put a 5/16" bolt and nut on it. If you don't, all it takes, is a cow to bump the gate hard and the part that is on the tube gate will rotate around-the clamp bolts never pull it down tight enough to hold it in position against much pressure.
lockable-two-way-latch-and-pin.jpg

This is their one-way version, but it's done the same way--drill thru where the arrow is. I found that out the hard way when a hard to catch heifer hit it wide open run and twisted the whole thing on the tube and off she went.
rjxu.jpg

Latest posts