Gas Ram 2500 Towing

Help Support CattleToday:

TheFutureFarmer

Reaction score
My dad has a 2002 Ram 2500 automatic with the GAS 5.9 engine, automatic tranny, and he wants to install a turnover ball in the bed of the truck to pull a gooseneck trailer. The truck does have a brand new engine, tow package, camper package, and 4.10 gears. I don't think the truck has enough power or brakes to handle a gooseneck unless it was an 24' Wilson that we could borrow from a friend to haul calves. What do you guys think?

Ditto. Be sure to take the overdrive off (push the towing button) and have the brakes on the trailer adjusted correctly.

It's fine, it should pull any 20 or 24ft cattle trailer you can find, and should do fine with a 25ft flatbed and 14 4x5s.

Unless it pulls better than my friend's 3500 with the 5.9 gas, you better get an early start.

You are better off hooking horses to the front of the ram put the truck in neutral and leave the motor off and let the team of horses pull you so you can save on transmission repair costs.

You are better off hooking horses to the front of the ram put the truck in neutral and leave the motor off and let the team of horses pull you so you can save on transmission repair costs.

Transmission was rebuilt 45k miles ago :nod:

TennesseeTuxedo":ifcy3f7x said:
skyhightree1":ifcy3f7x said:

Wow! 15 yards for unnecessary roughness right there.

Agree and I think sky needs to ride the bench for qtr.

M5farm":2orzrll4 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2orzrll4 said:
skyhightree1":2orzrll4 said:

Wow! 15 yards for unnecessary roughness right there.

Agree and I think sky needs to ride the bench for qtr.
:lol2: :lol2: :clap:

While we talking transmissions, my dad had a 03 3/4 ton dodge hemi gas auto, it's still in the family with 300k on it pulling some good loads too, on the original transmission. Dad now has a 07 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.0 auto, and don't get me wrong it has been near trouble free, but in 250k it has had 2 transmissions. And the last 2 ford auto's we had lasted about 80 to 110k.

You need to change the fluid and filter in the first 36,000 miles. And about every 50k there after. A clogged filter will ruin a transmission and a transmission flush does not cut it. Heat is what kills a automatic transmission.

Latest posts