gardening

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a garden every year. Plant potatoes, tomatos, green beans, onions, peas, beets, squash, eggplant, cabbage, carrots, cucumbers. Have raspberry bushes, elderberry bushes, grapevines. Peach, pear, apple, mulberry trees. Sweet corn is grown at my parents place. Grow jack o lantern pumpkins for the kids for the holidays. I can, freeze, and jelly everything in sight. Am also establishing several flower beads. Like planting different varieties of trees.

sidney411":n3lhg8vt said:
Both of my grandpa's had huge gardens. I remember all us grandkids would play out there and munch on the veggies. I've never had time to put in a garden though. There are a lot of old men sitting on the side of the roads with all their produce from their gardens. I like to stop and chat with them and buy my veggies from them. I feel good about helping support them.

One of the things we do on the side is that we have a small lawn care business. By the time I get done with all our customers lawn's the last think I want ot do is go home and work on mine. So mine is somewhat neglected.

Sounds like my yard. Also kind of like the condition of the woodwork in my own house gets neglected while I build cabinetry all day long. :(

We put out a garden every year. I really enjoy it. Of course you already know I grow excellent pumpkins and watermelons. 8) Middle Tennessee is known as the nursery capitol of the world. (Warren County Tennessee)

Does anyone use the black plastic sheeting to keep weeds from growing? We have a small garden ( 16' X 24' ) and just raise maters, peppers, squash, cukes, etc. for the two of us. After getting the bedding worked & rows laid out we put out the black plastic down and cut Xs to plant through. It's worked pretty good at keeping the grass & weeds out for us.

;-)

I have a garden of 1.5 acres. Have 80+ roses and many flowers and grow a few veges. I have plans to have an open garden in the next two years. Our daughter is to get married in the garden next year. I plan to plant a colour scheme of her wedding colours. Never use black plastic to stop weeds. Use newspapers which works very well very few weeds grow through them and when they break down they mulch the ground well. I use cane mulch and grass clippings. Though when grass clippings are used you need to turn them as they form a mat that sometimes water can't get through I use leftover hay from off the ground after I put round bales out.
I usually water after dark or late in the afternoon or in the early morning. I never wet my rose bushes leaves if I can help it as it causes black spot on the leaves.
Instead of gifts we have given some of our family a garden makeover. They have a lasting gift that way. We return every now and then to help them with maintenance,weeding etc.
Yes I love gardening and fit it in between all my other cattle and work related activities. In my vege garden at the minute I have planted Beans,Broccoli,Cabbage,Lettuce,Spinach,Shallots,Onions,Strawwberries. Haven't planted any tomatoes yet just in case it still frosts. The flower garden has Roses of course,Petunias,Pansies,Dianthus,Lobelia,Poppies,Iceland and Flanders varieties,Gerberas,Daisies Freesias. My Daffodils and Tulips have just finished. Our flowering trees are all out now,Ornamental ,peach,pear,cherry,Manchurian Pear,Robinias and our Bottlebrush trees (an Australian Native) are just about to start to flower.
Sorry for raving on but I love my garden.

Colin

Australian Cattleman":3fftfh1p said:
Bottlebrush trees (an Australian Native) are just about to start to flower.
Colin

I saw my first Bottlebrush tree this summer here in Texas. It was in full bloom and just beautiful. I didn't know where they originated, but I plan to find some and plant them next spring. Do they come in different colors or are they all red? Do cows like to eat them? :lol: Hope not! They might have a better chance of survival here if they're not palatable to cows.

Another project I keep wanting to get around to is a cactus garden at the entrance to my place. I think putting down the black plastic sheeting will work well to keep the weeds and maintenance down. If I could only get the time to get it started. Does anyone know where I can find some of that....extra time? :lol:

Bottlebrush,their botanical name is calistemon............
They come in a variety of colurs from dark red to light red to pinks,whites and I have just planted a green flowered one. The birds love them and yes cattle will eat them. Bottlebrush grow along the creeks and rivers in lots of places here in Australia. Another nice native that I have in my garden is a melaleuca,they have masses of white flowers and the birds love them.I still wouldn't use black plastic,you can buy a product called "weedmat" which is better than plastic. I've just come in from outside just put the sprinklers on. Its supposed to be about 34c today which is probably about 94 ish. So I water early before it gets hot. We are fortunate to have a good water supply from the gully about 250 metres away.
Good Gardening
Colin

A6gal":3pxc2mnw said:
Does anyone know where I can find some of that....extra time? :lol:
I am told that the clerks at Tractor Supply Co. have plenty of it.

This is a picture of a Sundew plant that i took. they are native here, grow in wetland areas and are carnivorous. Havent lost any cows to them yet that i know of though.

3.jpg

Beefy said:
This is a picture of a Sundew plant that i took. they are native here, grow in wetland areas and are carnivorous. quote]

Beefy, those are really pretty, do they help with fly control?

they eat flies. i guess they help...
one fly is all it takes to get on your nerves. or a mosquito at night.

Latest posts