gardening

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
Do any of you like to garden? does anyone have a nursery along with cattle? a vegetable garden? who likes working in the yard? its one of my hobbies, just wondering if anyone else is interested in that sort of thing.

I love gardening. I don't actually have a vegetable garden right now as there is little to no time to tend it, but I do have flower gardens. I find it's relaxing and soothing to tend the garden.

i tend to like working with tropicals, natives, trees, and cycads the best. dont really care for vegetable gardening that much but will grow easy vegetables like potatoes and cucumbers from time to time.

After spraying and fertilizing all of my customers and my own pastures, corn, and beans a garden just does'nt have much appeal.

Yeah vegetable garden. I like planting and picking but everything in between is just work. But the veggies sure beat anything we can buy in town.

I worked at a nursery for about nine years from high school through college, part time. It was pretty interesting... I have to say that my yard/beds were alot prettier then than they are now.

We grew lots of the balled and burlapped stock from cuttings. It was neat to see the process as they grew. Pretty labor intensive sometimes, but it was a good job.

I have a vegy garden every year. Used to grow everything under the sun. Now i am down to Sweet Corn, peas, squash and oakra. i had some asparagus growing well but then it up and died. Really made me mad. It takes alot of effort to get it to grow. Ashley has some plants. mostly Ivey of different kinds. We have some petunias that grow wild. Her granmother used to plant them every year around the house and now we try to keep them growing. I put in some fescue grass under the oaks. Thats a full time job. Also put in two peach and two fig trees. First year got 20 peaches about the size of limes and six figs the size of large marbles. Told moma to get the canner we have a bountyfull harvest.

Scotty

I love gardening, actchully just spent the whole day outside working with my mom on them.

Going to start up 2 more vegtable gardens next spring for 4-H.
Going to sell produce too :lol:

I have a vegtable garden. Buy very little from the store. Just ate some fresh butternut squash and tomatoes. Lots of corn and beans in the freezer. Takes a lot of work but it's only a drag when it cuts into riding time too much.

There is nothing like good ole home grown vegetables. But it sure is a lot of work! My problem has been finding a spot that the cows won't get into (temporary fences just don't work) and keeping the coastal from taking it over. Year before last I put the garden in the end of my cattle pens. Pens made of railroad materials and telephone posts. It turned out great. Cows didn't get in but by the middle of the season I was harvesting 2 or more 5 gallon buckets of veggies each day. :shock: Friends started hiding from me because I was overloading them with the stuff. Of course I put a lot in the freezer but that's a lot of work too! Made a lot of jalapeno jelly that turned out really good! I didn't get around to getting one in this year but plan to in the spring, just a lot smaller than in previous years.

I love flowers too, but it never fails. In the spring I go crazy planting flowers and get everything to looking really pretty and someone leaves the yard gate open and the cows come in and sample each and every plant and eat the ones they like to the ground! I guess thats what happens when your house sits in the middle of a cow pasture, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

We have 70+ rose bushes leading up to the front porch. Made a good deal on a tiller this past year and tilled in about 1/4 acre of manure and covered it with black plastic all summer to kill the seeds...alot of noxitious weeds in our part of the country. Looking forward to planning and planting next spring.
Thinking of the organic route as we have alot of knowledgable friends...

I grow a few veggies in the summer. Mainly tomatos for eating, canning juice, and canning salsa. I also grow and make my own pickles, cabbage (sauerkraut), brocoli, cauliflower, and zuchini, and jalepenos. My mother in law plants a huge garden, and we get corn, potatoes, greenbeans, strawberries, asparagus, calaraba, and onions from her. I swear, the woman thinks she needs to grow enough to feed an army.

We grow a vegetable garden every year. It burnt up in June this year. Kept the tomatoes watered for a few weeks and then just gave up. I didn't get my fill before it dried up. I ran the brush hog over it this weekend. We also try to keep a landscaped lawn with flower beds and such.

"We" like to garden...but I think I do most of the work. (I am not braggin on myself...my vegetable garden looks horrendous after the fleas chased me out of it!) I have a long way to go and a lot to learn. Seems like the best thing we ever did in that garden was get one of those little tillers--weedeater sized. we sure can keep it cleaned up around the plants that way!

anybody use alfalfa around tomatoes? I would be interested in creative tomato staking discussion if it doesn't bore everyone too badly!

Susie David":beop8n0m said:
We have 70+ rose bushes leading up to the front porch. Made a good deal on a tiller this past year and tilled in about 1/4 acre of manure and covered it with black plastic all summer to kill the seeds...alot of noxitious weeds in our part of the country. Looking forward to planning and planting next spring.
Thinking of the organic route as we have alot of knowledgable friends...

If you want to get into the organic route, there is a really good magazine called Organic Gardening available.

msscamp":3krsrp5w said:
If you want to get into the organic route, there is a really good magazine called Organic Gardening available.

OG is the best gardening magazine I've found, but over the years it has had quite a shift toward the political issues so you will sometimes encounter tree-hugger attitudes.That said, it's still the best gardening mag I've found.

fit2btied":ulb4x7nu said:
msscamp":ulb4x7nu said:

OG is the best gardening magazine I've found, but over the years it has had quite a shift toward the political issues so you will sometimes encounter tree-hugger attitudes.That said, it's still the best gardening mag I've found.

I didn't know that. :oops: It's been a couple of years since I subscribed to it, simply because of time contraints with regard to gardening.

Thanks...I'l look up a copy of OG...we walk a fine line with the gardening granola friends...most are vegs and we process our cows on the farm, sort of grosses them out. Oh well :roll:

I've been gardening since I was a small lad. Started out helping my grandpa in his half acre garden. He depended on his grandsons to operate the tiller as he was somewhat crippled. never been able to grow watermelons and cantaloupe like he could. This summer we just turned ours into lawn during the dry spell. Just too busy to fight the drought.

Both of my grandpa's had huge gardens. I remember all us grandkids would play out there and munch on the veggies. I've never had time to put in a garden though. There are a lot of old men sitting on the side of the roads with all their produce from their gardens. I like to stop and chat with them and buy my veggies from them. I feel good about helping support them.

One of the things we do on the side is that we have a small lawn care business. By the time I get done with all our customers lawn's the last think I want ot do is go home and work on mine. So mine is somewhat neglected.

Latest posts