GallowayPhotos

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
Uploaded some photos under "kansas" of a few of my Galloways. If you know how to put on here go right ahead. Let me know what yall think, aside from the fact that they are hairy.

Two Steers, 2 momma cows, and some bred heifers..

I like 'em Kansas. Doggoned good cows. Thick, deep. I just bought a deep old Welsh Black bull thats going to run with my commercial herd (and a few of my purebreds that aren't up to snuff for PB breeding). I think in a few years, with the proper marketing, those Galloway/Welsh Black animals will supplant Angus as the genuine beef breed. Massive rib eye scores, excellent marbling characteristics, great yield all while maintaining good characteristics elsewhere.

Rod

GallowayCow3.jpg

GallowayCow1.jpg

GallowayCow.jpg

Galloway6.jpg

GallowaySteer.jpg

Galloway4.jpg

My husband bought a Galloway bull, and perhaps its because the weather isn't as cold as up north, but he's not as hairy as that. This bull is 3 y/o and is supposedly registered. At first I didn't care for him because he doesn't have length but he's deep and wide.... I call him Curly because all his facial hair is very curly. The hubby bred him to his holstein cows and we'll know in December what kind of cross that is.

btw, thank you for sharing your pics

My pleasure.... the last two in the pics are both steers.. approximately 12 months old.

Really hard for me to see any muscling patterns in those cattle.

Do you clip them close in spring?

No... they naturally shed a bit of the hair as it warms up. Problem is... its still friggin cold.

Hairy dogs.. Hairy cattle.. now thats one hairy operation!

When I was a kid, we used to call those cattle "wooly buggers"

Not being mean, just the way it was. It is hard to see the muscle definition in them though.

I will send more pics this summer when they have shed a bit of their hair. Should give you a better idea of their structure and muscling.

Kansas-

At the outset, I must say that I know absolutely nothing about Galloways, other than they are a Bovine Breed! However, from what I have read on their site and other sources, they seem to fill a niche with which other breeds have problems - very cold climates, and managing difficult topography with which to graze a livelihood.

They appear a very solid, structurally correct, and should be good mothers. Because of the preponderance of hair, the phenotype is not too obvious. I question the advisability of crossbreeding because of the hair and other characteristics pertaining to the locality where they were developed. It may disrupt the very traits which make them what they are.

I am afraid that I have not helped you very much regarding the advisability of breeding them. however if you do decide to concentrate on that breed, study the particularities carefully and begin with the best genetics and phenotype you can find and afford - just as you would with any breed.

DOC HARRIS

Kansas, take a couple shots of their backs looking down (if you can get higher) and their hind quarters. Perhaps its because I've been watching Galloway/Welsh cattle for a bit and know what to look for, but I can see the muscle definition in your stock just fine. I can also see the broad, flat backs that define Celtic animals. Can you say "Big old rib eyes"? :)

Rod

Diamond S,
I am heading down there today. Will take some pictures from the top looking down to give a better idea of their width. That is one of the first things people notice is how friggin wide they are.

Latest posts