Gallbladder Trouble

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I put this in Health and Nutrition. I noticed back in November that I was having pain in my upper right abdomen. I wanted to believe it was my colon but I thought it was too high. I scheduled a colonoscopy. That went fine so that didn't explain the pain. Furthermore, if I went out for a nice steak with baked sweet potatoe and asparagus, when I got about half way finished, the steak began to look unappetizing. Which was not usual for me. I chalked it up to aging. Then I started having nausea after eating, even if it was a salad. So I went to the doctor. My general practitioner said it sounded like gallbladder. So he scheduled me for an ultrasound. The results were a sludgy gallbladder without stones. So they scheduled me for a HIDA scan. In a HIDA scan, the image is reverse of an xray. Instead of the rays being emitted into the body, a radioisotope is injected into your blood stream via an IV. The image is captured on a screen above your body. Then they inject you with an enzyme that simulates food entering the duodenum. This causes the gallbladder to contract. Then they measure the percent performance of the gallbladder. Mine was only contracting 11 %.

So Monday, I had my gallbladder removed. It is unbelievable how much better I feel. I am pushing their advice on diet. I had a rib steak yesterday. Ate the whole thing absolutely no side effects or discomfort. I am not suppose to do too much for a few days but I feel fine. The relief has been immediate. I would highly recommend that anyone who is suffering from gallbladder malady, GET THE DANG THING OUT. It is a miracle on how much better you will feel.

A HIDA scan saved my life. Like you i was having pain associated with the gallbladder. But the HIDA scan revealed cancer on my liver. The tech. kept asking me if i had something in my pocket. He stopped the procedure and made me check my pockets. Turns out i had a slow growing tumor in the small intestines that had spread to the liver but never had any symptoms. Surgery removed everything, clear for 3 yrs. now. Sometimes you get lucky. Now without a gallbladder you just need to not get to far from a bathroom.

My husband has gallbladder issues. He was told to not eat a ton of processed fats. Like avoid anything that's coated in canola oil. Fast foods. Our naturopath is big on making sure you eat whole fats. Most people don't realize but whole milk is a lot easier on your body than skim....its not all about calories here. You should eat full fat yogurts, cheese, milk, etc.

cowgal604 said:
My husband has gallbladder issues. He was told to not eat a ton of processed fats. Like avoid anything that's coated in canola oil. Fast foods. Our naturopath is big on making sure you eat whole fats. Most people don't realize but whole milk is a lot easier on your body than skim....its not all about calories here. You should eat full fat yogurts, cheese, milk, etc.

I have been eating anything I want since Monday. I must be one of the lucky ones. The surgeon said some people in fact most, enjoy immediate relief and have no reaction to any foods. That seems to be me. I have not had a reaction to anything I have eaten. I might even go have pizza for lunch.

FlyingLSimmentals said:
Glad it worked out and you are feeling well.

Mike, I went to St. Joseph East in Lexington. I was 100 % pleased with the whole experience. They do a great job.

Bright Raven said:
cowgal604 said:

I have been eating anything I want since Monday. I must be one of the lucky ones. The surgeon said some people in fact most, enjoy immediate relief and have no reaction to any foods. That seems to be me. I have not had a reaction to anything I have eaten. I might even go have pizza for lunch.

You need to consider long term effects. Do some reading on it but from what I understand the fact you don't have a gallbladder and even when you did have a rough one it puts extra pressure on your liver and your pancreas. Doing that can lead to diabetes and all these things lead to heart disease. I have this conversation with my husband every day haha.

I fed my chickens garlic the other day, just the cuttings from our plants and their eggs taste like garlic. Proof you are what you eat.

cowgal604 said:
Bright Raven said:
cowgal604 said:

You need to consider long term effects. Do some reading on it but from what I understand the fact you don't have a gallbladder and even when you did have a rough one it puts extra pressure on your liver and your pancreas. Doing that can lead to diabetes and all these things lead to heart disease. I have this conversation with my husband every day haha.

I fed my chickens garlic the other day, just the cuttings from our plants and their eggs taste like garlic. Proof you are what you eat.

I am just taking my "no gallbladder" status for a test drive. I maintain a pretty decent diet. I eat no processed foods, lots of fish and vegetables, etc. I don't take any medications. My total cholesterol is 150. The Anesthesiologist commented that I had good vitals - oxygen, BP, pulse, etc before he sent me to cloud 9. If a tree don't fall on me, I should live until I die.

Bright Raven said:
cowgal604 said:
Bright Raven said:

I am just taking my "no gallbladder" status for a test drive. I maintain a pretty decent diet. I eat no processed foods, lots of fish and vegetables, etc. I don't take any medications. My total cholesterol is 150. The Anesthesiologist commented that I had good vitals - oxygen, BP, pulse, etc before he sent me to cloud 9. If a tree don't fall on me, I should live until I die.

Haha true that. I just bought a fully treed property. The food may not save me.

Bright Raven said:
cowgal604 said:
Bright Raven said:

Raven I can only repeat what I've heard and that is "When you have the urge to go.......... head for the bathroom immediately" or you'll be cleaning up a mess. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I'm pleased you got it sorted Ron. They are a bit like the old conjurers these days the way they take them out. You know those old charletons that used to massage things out of people and hold up the jar with a gall bladder or appendix or whatever in it.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
I'm pleased you got it sorted Ron. They are a bit like the old conjurers these days the way they take them out. You know those old charletons that used to massage things out of people and hold up the jar with a gall bladder or appendix or whatever in it.

Ken

Very true. You go into surgery at 11:45 AM. In 30 minutes, they got the gallbladder out, the duct to the biliary tree sealed and cauterized, and 4 punctures into the abdomen sealed. Another hour in recovery and you are putting on your clothes going home. It is absolute witchcraft. Lol

Bright Raven said:
wbvs58 said:

Ken

Very true. You go into surgery at 11:45 AM. In 30 minutes, they got the gallbladder out, the duct to the biliary tree sealed and cauterized, and 4 punctures into the abdomen sealed. Another hour in recovery and you are putting on your clothes going home. It is absolute witchcraft. Lol

Nope! Just medical science! :lol:

I just had mine removed three weeks ago. I can relate to feeling a whole lot better! It was a chronic infection that I had for probably ten years. My hubby and son picked up chores for three days after surgery, then, I did them...slowly. Four days after my surgery was when I noticed our cow had mastitis and then she had surgery. So, my second week of recovery was spent cleaning her stall twice a day and spreading thick shavings, as well as all the other chores, lol! It turned out alright. Recheck was yesterday and everything looks good. I'm back to eating things I couldn't very well before, but not others. Lost my taste for fried food long ago. I can't stand pizza or chips of any kind either. Haven't touched fast food since college and poverty.

Little Cow said:
I just had mine removed three weeks ago. I can relate to feeling a whole lot better! It was a chronic infection that I had for probably ten years. My hubby and son picked up chores for three days after surgery, then, I did them...slowly. Four days after my surgery was when I noticed our cow had mastitis and then she had surgery. So, my second week of recovery was spent cleaning her stall twice a day and spreading thick shavings, as well as all the other chores, lol! It turned out alright. Recheck was yesterday and everything looks good. I'm back to eating things I couldn't very well before, but not others. Lost my taste for fried food long ago. I can't stand pizza or chips of any kind either. Haven't touched fast food since college and poverty.

Although I had no stones or infection, when the surgeon visited me in recovery he said I was headed toward some serious chronic infection. The gallbladder was inflamed and causing edema. That can spread to the biliary tree which is where the bile has to move through and where the pancreas empties into. I am glad you got it taken care of. Gallbladder can lead to some serious risks.

I had an ultrasound and then followed up with a HIDA scan yesterday morning. The ultrasound showed no stones or sludge but doctor felt it was still gall bladder based on my symptoms.

I chalked it all up to putting on about 15 lbs after I quit smoking. Ready to start again because I was feeling fat. Well, I'm hoping the surgery makes me feel "normal" again. Putting 15lbs on a 115lbs body seems ridiculous to complain about but I seriously feel so puffy and bloated. Miserable. I'm sure once my gall bladder is gone, I'll feel better and embrace much needed weight gain.

My gall bladder is hyperactive. He stated the threshold removal percentage was at an 80 for hyperactivity and I am 97%! I also have a very small incisional hernia (2 pallets of 60 pound cement bags to blame for this) that they'll repair while they remove my gall bladder.

They want to schedule me for next week but I am waiting for my new position to be in place and someone to be hired. My hubby said "don't worry about work, get it done." I'll have to be out 6 weeks because my job won't allow me to come back restricted. I'll go crazy.

NEFarmwife said:
I had an ultrasound and then followed up with a HIDA scan yesterday morning. The ultrasound showed no stones or sludge but doctor felt it was still gall bladder based on my symptoms.

I chalked it all up to putting on about 15 lbs after I quit smoking. Ready to start again because I was feeling fat. Well, I'm hoping the surgery makes me feel "normal" again. Putting 15lbs on a 115lbs body seems ridiculous to complain about but I seriously feel so puffy and bloated. Miserable. I'm sure once my gall bladder is gone, I'll feel better and embrace much needed weight gain.

My gall bladder is hyperactive. He stated the threshold removal percentage was at an 80 for hyperactivity and I am 97%! I also have a very small incisional hernia (2 pallets of 60 pound cement bags to blame for this) that they'll repair while they remove my gall bladder.

They want to schedule me for next week but I am waiting for my new position to be in place and someone to be hired. My hubby said "don't worry about work, get it done." I'll have to be out 6 weeks because my job won't allow me to come back restricted. I'll go crazy.

My removal percentage was only 11 %. Thus, the compounds in bile were precipitating out to form a thick sludge which further reduces the removal percentage. Toward the middle of a meal, I would lose my appetite. Then at night, the gallbladder would cause a gnawing pain. I would be nauseous the next morning and tired. I can already notice a significant improvement. Your situation is about the opposite. I hope you get some relief.

Bright Raven said:
NEFarmwife said:

My removal percentage was only 11 %. Thus, the compounds in bile were precipitating out to form a thick sludge which further reduces the removal percentage. Toward the middle of a meal, I would lose my appetite. Then at night, the gallbladder would cause a gnawing pain. I would be nauseous the next morning and tired. I can already notice a significant improvement. Your situation is about the opposite. I hope you get some relief.

I've been experiencing extreme bloating and heaviness around my diaphragm. So uncomfortable after eating, it feels like my ribs are going to crack from pressure in my tummy. I told someone the other day, I feel 9 months pregnant when I'm miserable and told the tech yesterday, that the isotope they gave me, felt like a contraction. I knew at that moment, it was my gall bladder and removal was certain.

I've also felt nauseous. But most of mine has been pain... it will radiate to the lower back. I'm such a strong willed, stubborn, SUCK IT UP type... and I just can't anymore. I've also been a raging b*tch because of my discomfort. My entire family will be highly appreciative of my better health and wellness.

NEFarmwife said:
Bright Raven said:
NEFarmwife said:

I've been experiencing extreme bloating and heaviness around my diaphragm. So uncomfortable after eating, it feels like my ribs are going to crack from pressure in my tummy. I told someone the other day, I feel 9 months pregnant when I'm miserable and told the tech yesterday, that the isotope they gave me, felt like a contraction. I knew at that moment, it was my gall bladder and removal was certain.

I've also felt nauseous. But most of mine has been pain... it will radiate to the lower back. I'm such a strong willed, stubborn, SUCK IT UP type... and I just can't anymore. I've also been a raging b*tch because of my discomfort. My entire family will be highly appreciative of my better health and wellness.

If I were you, I would get a referral to a surgeon, make sure all the procedures have been reported to the surgeon and then go in for a counseling session. There are some serious risks with letting a diseased gallbladder go untreated. It can compromise the bilary tree and pancreas. You said they wanted to schedule you, I assume that means with a surgeon or have you already been to a surgeon.

Latest posts