Gaiters?

Help Support CattleToday:

Logan52

Reaction score
From November through March my footwear is a pair of what we use to call gum boots, heavy wool socks over cotton socks when it is cold.
I never wear coveralls, just jeans. My problem is the open tops of the boots collect everything from sawdust to hay. If not cutting firewood, I am packing out square bales to sheep, calves or cows. I have tried letting the jean legs go over the boots but they are too tight and the boots wear my shins. I am constantly sweeping up trash wherever I take off the boots and ruining expensive wool socks.
Anyone ever try gaiters?

Bought a pair this year and they were useless. Too tight and did not flare on the bottom so that they rode up off of the boots ASAP.

From November through March my footwear is a pair of what we use to call gum boots, heavy wool socks over cotton socks when it is cold.
I never wear coveralls, just jeans. My problem is the open tops of the boots collect everything from sawdust to hay. If not cutting firewood, I am packing out square bales to sheep, calves or cows. I have tried letting the jean legs go over the boots but they are too tight and the boots wear my shins. I am constantly sweeping up trash wherever I take off the boots and ruining expensive wool socks.
Anyone ever try gaiters?
You need taller socks so the boot tops don't rub your skin. Boot socks. When I worked up in Western Oklahoma in winter, we wore some over socks that were thick as heck, in no way shape or form "fashionable" they were ugly as heck brown but warm as heck and came up beyond the tops of our rubber steel toed boots. Put your regular socks on, then these socks, then your boots. They were so good, that I used one later on, to insulate the whole house water filter that hung on the outside of the house I had at my old place. It never froze once.
Not sure where you'd find those over socks now. Got them at Atwoods back then.

On farm and most other times (except in high water and mud) I have always worn my jeans or coveralls over my boot tops. Neighbor asked me once why I didn't tuck my jeans down in my boots and I told him "Cause I ain't no dang pig farmer, that's why"

I wear chaps when cutting wood for the same reasons, boots get filled with wood chips and makes a mess when I take my boots off. Not to mention all the crap stuck in my socks. You can get a decent pair of gaiters for less than $20, probably worth a try.

I had a pair of gaiters years ago for deep snow. I don't know what happened to them but I wasn't impressed enough to get a second pair. For wood cutting I always wear lace up leather boots. Pants go on the out side. They provide better ankle support and traction than rubber boots.

I bought a pair this winter. I got tired of having wet jeans from the knees down when walking through deep snow. Now I don't really need them, as we now only have around six inches on the ground. I probably should take them off, but the moment I do that we will get a good snow. Maybe that get us some more snow here; we are going to need the moisture. I'm not really all that impressed with them. The bungee at the top seems to loosen over time.

I've been wearing gators hunting in Montana for almost 40 years. 12 inch high boots, with knee high, strap under the boot gators are the bomb. With that being said they're hard to get into without the boss helping! Not to mention 3 quick steps across a creek and you're good.

You need taller socks so the boot tops don't rub your skin. Boot socks. When I worked up in Western Oklahoma in winter, we wore some over socks that were thick as heck, in no way shape or form "fashionable" they were ugly as heck brown but warm as heck and came up beyond the tops of our rubber steel toed boots. Put your regular socks on, then these socks, then your boots. They were so good, that I used one later on, to insulate the whole house water filter that hung on the outside of the house I had at my old place. It never froze once.
Not sure where you'd find those over socks now. Got them at Atwoods back then.

On farm and most other times (except in high water and mud) I have always worn my jeans or coveralls over my boot tops. Neighbor asked me once why I didn't tuck my jeans down in my boots and I told him "Cause I ain't no dang pig farmer, that's why"
One of the worst things I ever saw happen to someone was to a guy that wore his pants tucked into his boots. He was holding his horse while it was getting shod and talking to the farrier as he was shaping a hot shoe. The farrier had a hardy in the anvil and cut a red hot end off of the shoe and it popped over and went right down inside his boot. They had to pour a bucket of water into his boot and then cut the boot off and that piece of horse shoe had cooked through his skin and muscle into the bone. He was hollering something awful. I was only 14 when I saw that and have never worn my pants in my boots since

Latest posts