G A R Sunrise

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know any more than what it says about him in the sire directory.
What interests you the most about him?
What's the criteria to make your list?

Appears you have been a long time lurker, :welcome: to posting hope you'll be joining in on more discussions.
Looking forward to hearing what you think of France. :)

Son of Butch":3kar4gu4 said:
I don't know any more than what it says about him in the sire directory.
What interests you the most about him?
What's the criteria to make your list?

Appears you have been a long time lurker, :welcome: to posting hope you'll be joining in on more discussions.
Looking forward to hearing what you think of France. :)
Good grief. :roll:

I would be a little concerned about his low SC. I thought he had the lowest epd for SC (-.61) but I looked up Connealy Confidence and CC's SC is lower at -.99. I'm not sure there would not be a better option with a higher SC.

I have only seen a few heifer calves, but have read he sires good feet and udders. I agree that the neg SC is a concern, what are you breeding for? Who else is on your list?

What interests me is his carcass qualities. I need to improve that area.
I started off with some bottle calves 5 years ago. They are half holstein, other half is angus.
Bull calves will be steered. I want the heifers.
Production I am ok with. Would like to see his milk less, but I can live with it here and there. Less milk is a priority. I am not a fan of him negative on his energy.

I did notice he is a 5 frame; yet 15th percentile for MH and 2nd percentile for MW. My cows are about a 5 frame and 1000 pounds. I have 3 Chisum heifers which really stand out out from the rest. I would imagine they will be another 150 pounds heavier. Got some body to them.

Speaking of Chisum, would someone like to school me.
Compare Chisum and Sunrise.
Why the huge difference in energy ?
Chisum
https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPed...7ykzbDzYqVq7TPYZIi0piOXYohT96yIFJuag6ygcHig==
Sunrise
https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPed...jUHl81VyQagrQoT5imj5IKWZ1AmSdUZ45NRz8xwmK0A==

I did notice Sunrise was neg on SC. Not a fan, but I have noticed alot of bulls used in other pedigrees sparingly with neg SC. Bad with the good I guess looking at the whole package.

Birchum":3564mima said:
What interests me is his carcass qualities. I need to improve that area.
I started off with some bottle calves 5 years ago. They are half holstein, other half is angus.

I did notice he is a 5 frame; yet 15th percentile for MH and 2nd percentile for MW. My cows are about a 5 frame and 1000 pounds. I have 3 Chisum heifers which really stand out out from the rest. I would imagine they will be another 150 pounds heavier. Got some body to them.

Compare Chisum and Sunrise.
Why the huge difference in energy ?
Chisum
https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPed...7ykzbDzYqVq7TPYZIi0piOXYohT96yIFJuag6ygcHig==
Sunrise
https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPed...jUHl81VyQagrQoT5imj5IKWZ1AmSdUZ45NRz8xwmK0A==
Why the huge difference in energy?
The huge difference in mature cow Height and Weight makes Sunrise daughters more expensive to carry year round
verses Chisum.
In addition Sunrise has higher milk than Chisum, so their energy requirements while lactating is a good bit higher
and also adds to higher energy needs to breed back.

I'm a fan of Chisum, top 30% sc top 10% heifer pregnancy.
You can do better than Sunrise for what you want.
The mature cow height and weight and $EN with 95th % tile sc and 45th Hp would make him a no go for me
for anything that has holstein blood.

Herefords are good for knocking down the holstein heavy milk production.
Perhaps consider the polled hereford Durango at Select Sires or R294 at ABS
Black Baldies make nice cows and hereford would also add a round of heterosis while helping to keep milk production
under control.

P.S. White face calves are cute as all get out.

I never knew mature cow Height and Weight had that effect on the energy epd. Guess I never gave it much thought.

Different subject.....the RADG and DMI.
Ideally, would one want RADG in the middle and DMI in the top percentile?
What are the tradeoffs ?

First of all I want to provide a disclaimer that I haven't spent a lot of time studying RADG and DMI. I also haven't seen much from AAA in recent years regarding these two traits, and if the EPDs are accurately predicting feed efficiency and feed intake in cattle. That being said, following are my thoughts.

RADG: If I understand the trait correctly, a higher score indicates greater average daily gain on the same amount of feed. So, as long as I can keep the size of my cows at an acceptable frame score, I want as much RADG as possible. It would be interesting to see if there is much of a correlation between RADG and frame score.

DMI: In a perfect world I want my cows to have low DMI and my feeder cattle to have high DMI. But, we can't make high DMI calves from low DMI cows. So, if I was putting much selection pressure on DMI, I think I would aim for moderate DMI scores.

I wouldnt mind a few of the 38A heifers in the catalog. Kinda where I would like to be; prefer milk in the teens.
Interesting the Dam was positive on SC, and the daughter mirrored Sunrise.
Would imagine that shows the emphasis on high accuaracy. Case in point ?

The RADG from what I am grasping will eventually lead to a heavy cow... :?

Wish there was more of a selection for heifer sexed straws.
Wouldnt mind using K C F Bennett Absolute
http://bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=2379

Thought I'd resurrect this thread and post a couple of our Sunrise heifer calves. Just turned out today. They are 7-8 wks old. (They're the two reddish ones standing in the foreground. First time our calves haven't come out jet black).

UG":1av85j81 said:
First of all I want to provide a disclaimer that I haven't spent a lot of time studying RADG and DMI. I also haven't seen much from AAA in recent years regarding these two traits, and if the EPDs are accurately predicting feed efficiency and feed intake in cattle. That being said, following are my thoughts.

RADG: If I understand the trait correctly, a higher score indicates greater average daily gain on the same amount of feed. So, as long as I can keep the size of my cows at an acceptable frame score, I want as much RADG as possible. It would be interesting to see if there is much of a correlation between RADG and frame score.

DMI: In a perfect world I want my cows to have low DMI and my feeder cattle to have high DMI. But, we can't make high DMI calves from low DMI cows. So, if I was putting much selection pressure on DMI, I think I would aim for moderate DMI scores.
Old posting, but I use $EN and $F and I pay little to zero attention to DMI and RADG.

boondocks":efhedsu1 said:
no comments? :)

Probably not a lot to comment about Boondocks, hard to get a good look at them with their heads down getting a belly full of nice grass. They do look to be in good condition and growing well for their age. Very pleasing on the eye.

Ken

wbvs58":8f70m1ne said:
boondocks":8f70m1ne said:
no comments? :)

Probably not a lot to comment about Boondocks, hard to get a good look at them with their heads down getting a belly full of nice grass. They do look to be in good condition and growing well for their age. Very pleasing on the eye.

Ken

Thanks Ken, will try to get better pics after they've been on grass a few more weeks. The only weird thing is that they are staying quite reddish brown. They do have the black circles around their eyes (which I'm told is more reflective of their mature color). A friend's Red Angus mama "bunks" with us; the Sunrise heifers' current color is smack dab between that of her calf, and my (non-Sunrise) Black Angus calves.

Anyone else experienced this? I assume it doesn't affect registrability but haven't delved into the rules, not having ever had anything other than a jet-black calf....

Most of the calves I have are a reddish tint when young with the black eyes. They seem to grow out of it around weaning. None are registered. The bull I have is a purebred, but it is about 50 50 on the red tint on his calves.
It would be nice to see what yours look like a few years from now.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3euk4jb2 said:
Calves look good. Did you wait a little long to get them out on grass? or have you already gone through several paddocks?

Hi Jeanne,
Yes, we waited a bit. The grass was slow to come; the area we turn them out into as "transitional" was pretty muddy; and we had a couple big bales we were hoping they'd polish off. They've been out about 2 wks. Happy campers.
We've gone from "no grass" to (with our Dec. herd reduction) almost more than they can keep up with right now. Good problem to have, I know!

Boondocks, I always seem to have a couple of calves each year out of about 30 registered Angus that get that reddish brown coat, we calve in winter but they can take a long time to shed that reddish coat in summer, often not till after Xmas/ New year (that being our summer of course). I never worry about it unless they are doing poorly. I had a heifer last year from a heifer that was very bronze and did poorly, mother seemed to have plenty of milk, I am sure this was copper deficiency, she did respond to a couple of shots of Multimin. I do give my calves Multimin at around 2-3mths of age but this heifer was a late one and missed out on it.

Ken

Latest posts