FYI: 2013 Euthanasia Guidelines

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
I've seen this question asked periodically, so here's the current AVMA recommendations. These are really good and very detailed. Information on how to select the right caliber of gun for the animal you're putting down, where to place the shot, what are acceptable and unacceptable methods of euthanasia, etc.

https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Docume ... anasia.pdf

:lol: Well it does cover chemical euthanasia, captive bolt, gunshot, electrical stunning, etc, etc and a lot of species other than cows. (If you don't know how to euthanize a crocodile, I did see that in there as well.) For those who don't know how to put an animal down, it's definitely good information. I like mine to drop with one shot... not two or three.

I agree with you MM. I just openned it up to read it and said too much for me to read today. But I will keep it around. One never knows when you might have to put down a crocodile. And if you need to do that you sure want it to drop on the first shot.

milkmaid":2wv0idkr said:
:lol: Well it does cover chemical euthanasia, captive bolt, gunshot, electrical stunning, etc, etc and a lot of species other than cows. (If you don't know how to euthanize a crocodile, I did see that in there as well.) For those who don't know how to put an animal down, it's definitely good information. I like mine to drop with one shot... not two or three.

Yep, it ain't cool when you shoot and they run away from you.

One reason I like to overdo it a bit, and use a shotgun which does more brain damage, not requiring perfect placement. Perhaps not as pretty, but I try to overlook my discomfort for the good of the animal.

I copied a piece below in the cattle section that shows a 410 does well. I bought a single shot 410 just this Tuesday and have found it to have plenty of punch. I have the 12 gauge, but used it to put a llama out of its misery in a shed for a neighbor, and had splatter all over the shed. Might be better for cattle, but probably still too much.

Shotguns loaded with birdshot (lead or
steel BBs) or slugs (solid lead projectiles specifically designed
for shotguns) are appropriate from a distance of 1
to 2 yards (1 to 2 m). Although all shotguns are lethal at
close range, the preferred gauges for euthanasia of cattle
are 20, 16, or 12. Number 6 or larger birdshot or shotgun
slugs are the best choices for euthanasia of cattle.
Birdshot begins to disperse as it leaves the end of the gun
barrel; however, if the operator stays within short range
of the intended anatomic site, the birdshot will strike the
skull as a compact bolus or mass of BBs with ballistic
characteristics on entry that are similar to a solid lead
bullet. At close range, penetration of the skull is assured
with massive destruction of brain tissue from the dispersion
of birdshot into the brain that results in immediate
loss of consciousness and rapid death.

The Canadian study cited previously evaluated
several firearms, including the .410 and 12-gauge shotguns.
The .410 loaded with either number 4 or number
6 birdshot fired from a distance of 1 meter was very effective
and had the advantage of less recoil compared with
other firearms used. The 12-gauge shotgun loaded with
number 7 1/2 birdshot fired from a distance of 2 meters from
its target was effective but considered to be more powerful
than necessary.

A word of caution I don't believe they mentioned in these 102 pages of guidelines.

Do NOT use a fire arm within your barn or other buildings.

About 20 years ago a farmer had a downer in a box stall at one end of his dairy barn.
When he shot her with a 12 gauge he set his barn on fire and not only lost his barn and hay but also about 25 head of his milking cows.

P&H:

Manually applied blunt force trauma to the head has been used primarily to euthanize small laboratory animals with thin craniums.334,340,341 It has also been applied for euthanasia of young piglets. The anatomic features of neonatal calves make manually applied blunt force trauma to the head unacceptable as a method of euthanasia for this species.

The following methods are unacceptable for euthanasia of cattle and small ruminants: manually applied blunt trauma to the head

Quick cheat sheet for easy information:
Selecting a weapon: page 36
Euthanasia of cattle: page 51
Euthanasia of horses: page 63

Milkmaid,

It may be unacceptable to them but it isn't to me as I have been using blunt force trauma on cattle and other animals for many years and it has always worked just fine.
Did you read why they say it is unacceptable?

How about this one?
If I intend to use the meat, after using the ball peen hammer or gun to make them unconscious I cut the throat so the animal can bleed out while the heart is still beating.
I do this for pigs and cattle.
Which is no different then chopping a chickens head off so it can bleed out.
So is this also unacceptable?
Pete