Future revisited

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I've been doing a fair bit of thinking on my future cow-calf herd, and came up with a few things that I have a gut feeling WILL work.

For one, I'm thinking of going with Herefords and Shorthorns. I might have to think of going with black baldies if things don't workout, just as something to fall back on. Reason I'm going with these two are because of the posts and websites I've read that repute them to be easy-calvers, have good dispositions, are darned good mothers, require low maintenance, and throw good calves that hit the ground growing. AND, a couple neighbors that are within a couple-of-miles radius have registered Herefords and Shorthorns (I mean one neighbor has herfs and the other shorties) that have been around for as long as my parents can remember.

My uncle started up a cow-calf herd of his own with only a few animals (about half a dozen) and expanded his herd to around 60 animals. I think I was told he has a couple of bulls of his own and doesn't do AI, but even then that size keeps him busy all the time. And he's a commercial producer.

Reason I mention him is b/c I plan on starting out similarly. I'll have to ask him a few things myself sometime (next time I see him) just to get some more ideas and thoughts flowing.

I'm going commercial. Registered, from what other folks have asked on here and from what I've read and learned, is HARD work. Sure it pays off in the end, but for cow-calf-beginner like me, I don't think it would be the best path to go. ESPECIALLY when I don't have any of my own family members that are registered producers. I'd rather cut the red tape and sell my calves at a local auction every Saturday or Tuesday or whenever. As 18 month old steers/feeder heifers or weaned feeder calves are what I still have to decide on. (might be easier to sell as weaned feeders...)

AI's probably going to be for the first few years or so until my herd's large enough (and I've gained enough experience) that I can have a bull in with the herd. AI won't be all that hard, just a matter of practicing and going to a good AI class.

The land won't be anything to worry about, because that's something I'm very familiar with.

Don't worry, I have my priorities still set, but this is still in the back of my mind and developing as I go. This board has been VERY helpful, and I'm glad I've been on here when I have.

SO, with all that (sorry it ended up a little long), any comments? Questions? Opinions? Reccommendations? Constructive criticisms? let me know...

thanks. :D

first of, Good luck! I'm sure you will do well what ever you decide on the breed. We too though of adding shorthorn to our herd. But we were discouraged by our local ag office becasue the spots shorthorns throw decrease the price at the auction mart. He didn't really discourage us but rather gave us some of the cons of shorthorn.
My husband bought his father's herd. it was a mixed bag of simmental, herford, charolais, angus, holstien and i'm not sure what else. We bred these cows to red and black angus bulls depending on the dams colour. Now we have a predomintaly red and black herd.
My husband loves the black baldies.
Our preference is to stay angus becasue of the calving ease. Our cows are quiet (fired the wild ones).
That is just us. there are many more guys on this site with alot better advice than i. Good luck in your new venture.
Oh yeah keep in mind any animal you buy, make sure it is vaccinated and findout the herd health.

hillsdown":24qvizjx said:
ABBeef DO you have land already are you going to be taking over your parents land?

I'm gonna be taking over my parent's land. The land prices nowadays are atrocious and it's just cheaper just taking over land that I'm already familiar with. The quarter section that the farm's on is probably gonna be turned into all pasture land, and the rest of the two quater sections are for hay/crop land...Dad'll most likely be still around to look after that...

Well you are more than half way there if you have land.You are right the prices in Alberta are just rediculous especially central AB.I am afraid the farming /ranching businesses will be few and far between.The property next to us has 149 acres and a big shop and a 2nd shop with living quarters above it nothing special land is 60 acres hay and the rest pasture it is listed for 1.35 million and they have already had offers that come close to asking price.
People around here are selling fast if they can get that kind of money.It beats the heck out of working your but off to just break even and usullly someone has to work off the farm to pay for things so you survive.

I hope you have a husband/wife and lots of kids so they can help out.Even 60 cows is alot for one person.

hillsdown":14u0bcrk said:
I hope you have a husband/wife and lots of kids so they can help out.Even 60 cows is alot for one person.

That's why I'm gonna start small and let the herd grow by a few animals every year. I'm single right now but I'm pretty sure Mr. Right will come along someday to give me a hand in this. :)

Don't know about up there-- but down here the market for big calves (10-18 months) is drying up(big discounts). Feeders are wanting to make sure they finish under the age limits set because of BSE. I have a feeling its going to get worse too.

good for you. In manitoba the land is not so pricy.
Just a note, do your parents have or starting a succession plan? These plans can take years to put into play and should be thought about, well, now! Are there other siblings to worry about? If there is ask about the will the part that pertains to the farm. If you are going to invest you need to know what happens if...
After 13 of farming years we just found out that my husband's sister get the home quarter. She does not live here, nor does she farm. Our house and our cattle are on the home quarter. So is the base of our the operation. All my husband's hard work, time, and investment. So it's worth the look and inquire.

Something else to look into: Ag canada has a webinar website that anyone can check out. Look up John Fast. He specializes in generational farms succession planning. He looks at the emotional (cause it does get emotional) financial (need to look after the parents, non farming siblings and protect your investment) and the legal. Just a tip from someone who has been there with the words "take over my parents land".

rockridgecattle":2fzknq4a said:
good for you. In manitoba the land is not so pricy.
Just a note, do your parents have or starting a succession plan? These plans can take years to put into play and should be thought about, well, now! Are there other siblings to worry about? If there is ask about the will the part that pertains to the farm. If you are going to invest you need to know what happens if...
After 13 of farming years we just found out that my husband's sister get the home quarter. She does not live here, nor does she farm. Our house and our cattle are on the home quarter. So is the base of our the operation. All my husband's hard work, time, and investment. So it's worth the look and inquire.

Something else to look into: Ag canada has a webinar website that anyone can check out. Look up John Fast. He specializes in generational farms succession planning. He looks at the emotional (cause it does get emotional) financial (need to look after the parents, non farming siblings and protect your investment) and the legal. Just a tip from someone who has been there with the words "take over my parents land".

Thanks I'll have to look into those things too sometime soon...

Latest posts