Funny Looking Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

ljV

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what is wrong with Hereford calf - born 3 days ago, big in size, head and neck looked swollen, leg joints were swollen, neck looks short and thick, looked like he is in a daze and he wouldn't suck very well. Three days later, swelling is down in head and joints, but cannot seem to nurse very well. Can suck a bottle for about 5-10 seconds then must quit and sounds like he is snorting. I can get a half a bottle at a feeding in, but then he won't take any more. Is acting better, more active, but still doesn't look quite normal. Mother did get impregnated by a close relative by accident. Any ideas?

ljV":2e3g48x5 said:
Trying to figure out what is wrong with Hereford calf - born 3 days ago, big in size, head and neck looked swollen, leg joints were swollen, neck looks short and thick, looked like he is in a daze and he wouldn't suck very well. Three days later, swelling is down in head and joints, but cannot seem to nurse very well. Can suck a bottle for about 5-10 seconds then must quit and sounds like he is snorting. I can get a half a bottle at a feeding in, but then he won't take any more. Is acting better, more active, but still doesn't look quite normal. Mother did get impregnated by a close relative by accident. Any ideas?

Sounds like a dummy calf.

ljV":g0ev314p said:

Line breeding.

When it works, everyone brags about their breeding and genetic knowledge.

When it does not - it is simply a wreck.

If it lives - get rid of it.

If it stays poorly do not spend much money on it.

If it is poorly after a few more days - shoot it or sell it.

Bez!

New observations on the calf - his tongue is pointed on the end and he constantly has it sticking out. Doesn't look small - actually looks like a normal size calf, just stocky.

either a dwarf or just inbred, sounds like to me. i thought the "snorter" dwarves were usually angus and the hereford dwarves were a different "type" of dwarf? could be wrong.

Beefy":n3uqmx72 said:
either a dwarf or just inbred, sounds like to me. i thought the "snorter" dwarves were usually angus and the hereford dwarves were a different "type" of dwarf? could be wrong.

i really dont know much about dwarf symptoms, just what i have read. you could very well be right.

I've seen a few Herf sired calves that match this description.

Big sized, raw boned, tongue generally sticks out a bit, dumb like stick and oddly enough, all of them were bug-eyed in appearance. Very lethargic and not overly co-ordinated.

If you mess with them long enough, they will suck, but it is a bit of a chore, as they don't seem to be able to figure out what to do with their tongues.

Helped a friend of mine with a few of them, and personally I think that they are probably akin to mentally handicapped people.

Sometimes these things just happen.

Take care.

ok for some reason I doubt dwarf. I'd say that it's probably that she had issues having the calf and it's head and joints swelled from the stress and lack of oxygen. They bigger they are the dumber they are so give him a week of tubing and trying to get him to nurse and the calf should be fine.

It sounds like he had a difficult birth and it took too long to get out. It takes quite awhile to recover form a tramatic birth. The swelling makes it difficult to eat and walk. They are sometimes never quite right again.

Latest posts