fuel tank wiring

Help Support CattleToday:

bird dog

Reaction score
I have a portable fuel tank with a 12 volt 15 gpm pump that spends most of its time on the ground but I occasionally haul it in my or some one else's truck to refill something in a out of the way place. Can this pump be wired with a trailer type electrical connection plug so I could then use existing plugs on different vehicles? My thinking is that I wire it into the running light connection and all I would have to do would be to turn on the lights to provide my power. Is this possible?
Thanks

I don't think the lighting wiring harness will supply the amps needed to run the pump. The draw created by the pump is far greater than the lights on the trailer.

I agree with Highcotton. Your fuel pump will draw 10 to 20 amps. For that you will need to come off a primary 12 volt circuit somewhere under the hood most likely. I would use 8 ga. wire as well. If you want to make it transportable you can put allligator clips on the end of the wires and attach directly to the battery. And if you want to be safe with all this jury riggin' you probably ought to put a fuse in the wiring as well.

I would get some 4 or 6ga. It's a little more forgiving if you have to have 20-25ft of wire. Your going to need close to that to reach from the battery to the back of the bed if you have a crew cab long wheel base.

Yes a crew cab lwb is what I have and the long hookup is what I was trying to avoid. The wiring size to the light plug socket was my biggest concern. Thanks to both of you for your replies. I will go another route.

If its just in a select few trucks you can wire a quick connect in the beds. It will work the pump, jumper cables, and ect.

Something like this.
DL24085_1000.jpg

Male and female trolling motor plug ends would be ideal for what you want to do.it would require a run back to the engine compartment tho

Latest posts