Frugal or cheap

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
The local mill cahrges $.50 per cwt for bagged feed over the price of the same stuff in bulk. I open the bags from the bottom and leave the zip strip on the top and get a 25 cent a bag credit for them.

dun

dun":3rzfko0n said:
The local mill cahrges $.50 per cwt for bagged feed over the price of the same stuff in bulk. I open the bags from the bottom and leave the zip strip on the top and get a 25 cent a bag credit for them.

dun

With the fire ban going on, I was looking outside and seeing all those Quarters piling up, if only we had opened from the other end. :(

aplusmnt":2s7ktkmb said:
With the fire ban going on, I was looking outside and seeing all those Quarters piling up, if only we had opened from the other end. :(

As little bagged feed as we use I doubt if I save a days worth of cigerette money, but the last time I checked it was at least some money

dun

dun":qcokfip6 said:
aplusmnt":qcokfip6 said:

As little bagged feed as we use I doubt if I save a days worth of cigerette money, but the last time I checked it was at least some money

dun

Have to check and see if our coop will buy the used bags back or maybe use them on my order. With the kids show animals we use between 2-4 bags a day, more when we get the pigs in a month or so. Could add up to almost $50.00 a month saved. Besides the kids do all the feeding, no extra work for me. :D

dun":nv1emp5x said:

dun

break even. :lol:

Does it strike anybody as odd that bag in the "bad old days" before recycling, we did recycle? Milk bottles, soft-drink and beer bottles and feed sacks. Used to stuff the empty sacks in between the rafter ends of the shed to use when we got more feed.

jkwilson":1bmwucut said:
Does it strike anybody as odd that bag in the "bad old days" before recycling, we did recycle? Milk bottles, soft-drink and beer bottles and feed sacks. Used to stuff the empty sacks in between the rafter ends of the shed to use when we got more feed.

But the bags weren;t paper they were that wonder material burlap

dun

Anybody remember the colorful cloth sacks that chicken mash used to come in? I, my siblings and my cousins sure wore a lot of shirts and dresses made from that material, and I always thought it was pretty nice stuff.

Anybody remember the colorful cloth sacks that chicken mash used to come in? I, my siblings and my cousins sure wore a lot of shirts and dresses made from that material, and I always thought it was pretty nice stuff.

I sure do I think we all wore shirts or the girls dresses made out of them. My mother saved the scraps and made quilts also. We even saved the string and she would wash and dry it and then use it to croshet (sp?) table cloths and such.

Local feedmill still uses burlap sacks. They are worth .25 too long as you don't mangle the bag :lol: .

I am really bad when it comes to snagging pennies. I once hauled a truckload of unsmashed cans and bottles to my inlaws place in Oregon to get the 5 cent price instead of the by the pound crap here. Got $185 though. I keep fish in my stock tanks all summer then sell them to the pet store in the fall. I want to figure out a way to convert my dryer vent to usable heat. I leave them oven door open after i cook to capture the heat. I always pick up pennies. When buying gas i go $.03 over the dollar and use the pennies at the register. I cut coupons. My next house will have a wood burning stove so that i can convert my junk mail into heat. My pets have to earn their keep. I consider the dog a heating asset. I stockpile for future use (everything). I yardsail religously. I buy my tires used and dicker. I am planning a trip to mexico to buy cattle drugs at a discount. I figure my vehicle costs by month and per mile. I don't care what they look like.
I hope this doesn't make me a crazy person. My buddies believe it does.

Beef11":39qbb0cs said:
I am really bad when it comes to snagging pennies. I once hauled a truckload of unsmashed cans and bottles to my inlaws place in Oregon to get the 5 cent price instead of the by the pound crap here. Got $185 though. I keep fish in my stock tanks all summer then sell them to the pet store in the fall. I want to figure out a way to convert my dryer vent to usable heat. I leave them oven door open after i cook to capture the heat. I always pick up pennies. When buying gas i go $.03 over the dollar and use the pennies at the register. I cut coupons. My next house will have a wood burning stove so that i can convert my junk mail into heat. My pets have to earn their keep. I consider the dog a heating asset. I stockpile for future use (everything). I yardsail religously. I buy my tires used and dicker. I am planning a trip to mexico to buy cattle drugs at a discount. I figure my vehicle costs by month and per mile. I don't care what they look like.

No it doesn't sound bad as I am as tight as a crab's ass and thats waterproof.

Beef11":2ylwy6sg said:

I love the .03 over on gas one! :D

It only works if you pay with cash. Also when you turn the pump off drain the hose out to, there is usually a couple ounces in there. I'm also working on a just in time inventory/contract feed deal. To minimize cash outlay at any given time. I get all my T-posts for free. I want to get my own portable sawmill to make my own lumber to build my own house. Ideally i will get a system that eliminates all need for the utility companies. I collect all scrap metals.
The list goes on...

Wow i didn't realize i was that bad.

Latest posts