friends heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

cgraves

Reaction score
Got a friend who is very new to the cattle business. He ask me to come look at one of his heifers that he thought was down trying to calf. He bought her breed at sale barn and she was very poor. After checking to see if she was trying to have the calf I advised him to call the vet and get him to come because the heifer was so tired she will never be able to deliver. The heifer was not dialated even for the calf to start coming out. She can not stand. but will eat and drink and all the normal body functions. I think he is trying to move her in the barn and get a harness to get her up. Any ideas or is it a lost cause?

Thanks.

he had to put the cow down. friend did a c-section but he lost calf too. maybe learned something that will help in the future.

cgraves":y17hzryh said:
he had to put the cow down. friend did a c-section but he lost calf too. maybe learned something that will help in the future.

I trust your "friend" was also a Vet?? If not, it's no wonder the animals died... If this was the case, well, doing surgery on live animals (without anaesthetic & skills?) is not the same as working in a meat market at grocery store... :shock:

When I say "friend" I don't mean me. The cow was dead before he did c-section. The animal was not going to make it, so he tried to save the calf. No he's not a vet and I stopped short of getting the vet myself, but what would you have done? I spent a lot of time trying to save these animals. If it would have been mine I would not have tried it myself, but it was not my animal. I feel this cow was doomed from the start because the former owner had basically starved her and breed her way to early. At least my "friend" tried to give her a good life, but she had so much going against her already.

cgraves":3tcc81ar said:
When I say "friend" I don't mean me. The cow was dead before he did c-section. The animal was not going to make it, so he tried to save the calf. No he's not a vet and I stopped short of getting the vet myself, but what would you have done? I spent a lot of time trying to save these animals. If it would have been mine I would not have tried it myself, but it was not my animal. I feel this cow was doomed from the start because the former owner had basically starved her and breed her way to early. At least my "friend" tried to give her a good life, but she had so much going against her already.

Why didn't he just have the calf aborted early on, if the heifer was too small to have it?

GMN

don't know.....just really a bad weekend. I think he really wanted the best for the animals and had never had any problems before. Looking back I know he would want to do some things again. Just like one of the posts I was reading, sometimes we just aren't as prepared as we should be.

Latest posts