Fresh sweet corn husks and silk?

Help Support CattleToday:

ILrepacker

Reaction score
I run a fresh produce repacking operation just outside of Chicago. We're repacking fresh sweet corn for retail and are generating a large amount of "by-product" consisting of corn husks, silk and small pieces of cob with kernels amounting to 5-10% of the total.

I'm looking for any options for reusing the material for feed, composting, etc. and from the basic research we've done, cattle appear to be the primary consumers of this type of material (in dried form). We dont have any way to dry or process the material, so it would have to be taken as is and will be available through August-September.

From the information on this board, there are a clearly a large number of you educated on this subject, any insight, information or education you would be willing to provide would be greatly appreciated.

If someone was close with cattle,they would probably take it off your hands daily "as is"- doubt you would get paid for it and you might even have to pay for hauling.

Send a sample off for nutrient/moisture testing , if I was closer that would be the first thing I would want to know so I knew what kind of value it had for me.

I feed the husks and other waste parts from my sweet corn to my calves and they love the stuff.

I dump it over the fence for the cows in season, too, but just what we eat and freeze so it's not enough to amount to much nutritionally. As long as it's fresh, it shouldn't matter that it's not dried.
Wonder if goats would eat it? I agree with Howdyjabo, though. I can't see it turning really lucrative for you, but hey - I've been wrong plenty of times.

ILrepacker":ckd557on said:
I run a fresh produce repacking operation just outside of Chicago. We're repacking fresh sweet corn for retail and are generating a large amount of "by-product" consisting of corn husks, silk and small pieces of cob with kernels amounting to 5-10% of the total.

I'm looking for any options for reusing the material for feed, composting, etc. and from the basic research we've done, cattle appear to be the primary consumers of this type of material (in dried form). We dont have any way to dry or process the material, so it would have to be taken as is and will be available through August-September.

From the information on this board, there are a clearly a large number of you educated on this subject, any insight, information or education you would be willing to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Would make a good treat for cattle if you can find a taker.

Goats and sheep would be able to eat it- but the moisture level(that I think it would have) and the low energy and protein(that I think it would have) would make it more suitable for cattle.

There are two large sweet corn processing plants near me. They get about $10 a ton plus frieght for husk, cob, and a little cull corn. They have a huge volume. There is a semi load of corn pulling into the plant every 15 minutes or so. Most of it goes into silage pits but some gets feed fresh during season. Both dairy and beef farmers use it. One year when grass was a bit short I fed about a ton a day. The cows loved it and did well on it. If you have any kind of volume someone would certainly be interested.

I'm not looking to make anything off of it, we try to recycle or reuse as much material as possible and keep from having to send it to a landfill. I'm happy to send it to feed somebodys cattle free of charge, if anyone knows of someone within 100 miles of Chicago I can make arrangements to get it to them.

Thanks

ILrepacker":35wzq2js said:
I'm not looking to make anything off of it, we try to recycle or reuse as much material as possible and keep from having to send it to a landfill. I'm happy to send it to feed somebodys cattle free of charge, if anyone knows of someone within 100 miles of Chicago I can make arrangements to get it to them.

Thanks

That would be a nice deal, your should at least ask for an occasional donation to a charity or something

Thanks a lot for considering this, we need more folks like you working with farmers for a win win.

[

Thanks a lot for considering this, we need more folks like you working with farmers for a win win

I agree-- an asset like that can make a huge difference to the continuation of a farm. The only way farmers seem to be able to do good is to have an edge(or several) on the rest of the competition. From cow to beef on the plate, there isn't enough money for everyone to have their full peice of the pie all the time. sadly In order for one segment to do good, one of the others has to be loosing.

ILrepacker- check with the state beef extension agent, he/she should be able to send you the right direction.

Which side of Chicago are you and how much will you have a week? I live in Northwest Indiana and may know of some people who may be interested.

Latest posts